[SOLVED] Xbox one controller on PC

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
hello, not a big problem , more just annoying.. but I was wondering perhaps there is a fix to this, it seems my Xbox one controller, which is USB and always plugged into a USB hub (along with keyboard and mouse) but it seems the controller will shut off after time, which is fine as I assume its a power saving thing.. but the issue is it never turns back on (by pushing the Xbox Logo Button) but if I unplug it and plug back in it works fine. I am at a bit of a loss on why its happening. I know the USB hub doesn't power down as my keyboard and mouse always work fine so I dont think its that Ive also have installed the Xbox apps for windows 10 it suggested such as Xbox (beta) Xbox console companion and Xbox accessory as well as the Xbox game bar.. if you have any suggestions on how I can address this.. or if simply this is exactly how its ment to work, needing unplugged/plugged in each time I use it

Solution
My Xbox 360 controller never shuts off even when I shutdown my PC, its on 24/7.
Try plugging the controller directly to the PC without the USB hub.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's what i was thinking as well. i have a wired xb1 controller that only turns off when i shut down the pc. otherwise it stays on with the pc. it is connected directly to the back of the pc and not a hub.

give that a show and plug it into the pc directly and skip the hub

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ok ive plugged it directly into the PC.. I had to use an extention cable but I'm sure that wont matter. as I just plugged it in the white light is on above the center X (logo) button indicating power. I have set a timer to see if I can catch if it does go off . I will update when I have results

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Id have to conclude the Hub was the issue.. its been several hours now and I haven't touched the controller but it is still on . so I guess maybe hub shuts stuff off if idle so long? shrugs although it never shuts off my mouse and keyboard , so I don't know.. but thanks for the advice. it seems to have done the trick , this is what happens when one who uses a keyboard/mouse for all games decides to try a controller.. hahaha.. but thanks again..

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
It probably is just the usb port you were using, if you go to device manager and look under properties there is a check box - Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
It may also be in power management to shut down USB after so long , but this would also shut down my keyboard and mouse wouldn't it, if it shut down the hub? the hub doesn't show as individual USB ports but it does seem plugging the controller directly into the PC rather than Hub to PC keeps the controller on, so I suppose this is a suitable solution, I know USB hubs can be funny at times , but it runs a Bluetooth dongle, keyboard, mouse and charges phone without issue and shutting anything off or having to unplug/plug in to get to work again, only seems to be with the Xbox one controller.