Xbox one external hard drive

IanCrowley

Prominent
Feb 22, 2017
I have a seagate backup plus i have been using with my xbox one, it is already formatted with my xbox, i have a few games installed on it. A few months ago my xbox stopped detecting it. I plugged it into my computer but did nothing else. Today i plugged it back into my xbox and it asked me to format it again. How do i use the hard drive with my xbox without deleting the games on it?

Solution
To be honest, I would not bother using that hard drive again. Not sure what's going with it. It could be the circuit board has become defective and is causing it not be be recognized by the Xbox and PC.

If that is the case you need to do a search for a replacement circuit board for that specific hard drive then swap it. But since you only have a few games on it, I recommend you simply buy a new hard drive and re-download the games. If it is still under warranty, then you can get it serviced. Seagate may simply send you another hard drive that has already been refurbished though.
To be honest, I would not bother using that hard drive again. Not sure what's going with it. It could be the circuit board has become defective and is causing it not be be recognized by the Xbox and PC.

If that is the case you need to do a search for a replacement circuit board for that specific hard drive then swap it. But since you only have a few games on it, I recommend you simply buy a new hard drive and re-download the games. If it is still under warranty, then you can get it serviced. Seagate may simply send you another hard drive that has already been refurbished though.

Solution