Xbox one FreeSync

Adrian Cruz

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
Hi..so I have the ASUS MG28UQ whit adaptive sync and an Xbox 1 x and i would like to play my games whit the new FreeSync update for Xbox one x. Can somebody here help choose the best display port cable to use via HDMI?? Because this monitor to use the FreeSync tegnologie is only by DisplayPort and not HDMI. If any sugestión or idea will hel me a lot.

Solution
I thought it was predominantly the interface?

As digital signals, I thought they were (in essence) interchangeable?

It has been possible to force FreeSync on non-FreeSync monitors (admittedly with hacks) and over HDMI and DVI...
So, it wouldn't be unreasonably to think that it's possible to force FS "out" in a way that can be interpreted by the monitor*.

*Just speculating there.

By the looks of things, there were only ever <10 monitors that "supported" (lots of complaints out there) FreeSync over HDMI.
https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-hdmi.pdf
So, it would be pretty foolish to require a highly-specialized monitor IMO, over and above the cost of a 'normal' FreeSync display.... given the vast majority of XB1X users use a TV...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A 'simple' HDMI to DP adapter should be sufficient to achieve this (plus the patch, of course) BUT, from what I can find, the added features of FreeSync2 etc, will need an adapter that will definitively do HDMI2.0 to DP1.3..... and I can't find any trace of one existing currently.

Given XB are rolling this out, I would fully expect the devices to either "work" with a basic HDMI to DP adapter or at least have availability in the market very soon.

https://www.startech.com/ca/AV/Converters/Video/hdmi-displayport-adapter~HD2DP

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Any specific reason it wouldn't @Glenwing? Just curious.

MS are stating XB1S/X will support it over HDMI (so "out" essentially) and the monitor will support it over DP "in"....

Is the monitor going to appreciate the FreeSync capability came "out" of an HDMI port? It might, I don't know for sure..... I just don't see how it would?

It's just how active adapters work. The source isn't going to "see" the monitor, it's going to see the adapter as an HDMI monitor (one that doesn't support FreeSync). The adapter receives the signal and transmits an equivalent DisplayPort signal ti the actual monitor.

FreeSync can be implemented over both DisplayPort or HDMI. To use it on the Xbox, you would need a monitor that supports FreeSync-over-HDMI.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I thought it was predominantly the interface?

As digital signals, I thought they were (in essence) interchangeable?

It has been possible to force FreeSync on non-FreeSync monitors (admittedly with hacks) and over HDMI and DVI...
So, it wouldn't be unreasonably to think that it's possible to force FS "out" in a way that can be interpreted by the monitor*.

*Just speculating there.

By the looks of things, there were only ever <10 monitors that "supported" (lots of complaints out there) FreeSync over HDMI.
https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-hdmi.pdf
So, it would be pretty foolish to require a highly-specialized monitor IMO, over and above the cost of a 'normal' FreeSync display.... given the vast majority of XB1X users use a TV and not a monitor to begin with.

Not sure on exact numbers, but I'd have to guess that >90% of XB users use a TV.
So, <10% use a monitor.
Of that, it's going to be a tiny% that use one with FreeSync support to begin with....
Then, with very few monitors in existence that'll support it over HDMI...... that market share of users has to be <1% range, comfortably.

Solution
Signals aren't interchangeable just by nature of being digital.

Active adapters aren't going to know how to transmit FreeSync signals unless they're programmed with that capability. It has to know how to translate HDMI signals into equivalent DisplayPort signals, and they're only going to do that within the extent of their programming.

I think the idea is that this will encourage implementation of FreeSync in TVs (via HDMI), not that it's already widely available. Displays pretty much always come after the hardware, not the other way around.

Adrian Cruz

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
Ok thanks for help me here but one last question my ASUS monitor only do FreeSync by DisplayPort, and the Xbox doesn’t have dp, so do you know if buy a dp cable will work also keep in mind I’m playing on 4K doesn’t mind if 30hz. Any advice

There's no way to get FreeSync working on an Xbox unless you have a monitor with FreeSync-over-HDMI support.