Xbox One Security Flaw Uncovered by Five-Year-Old Boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Yeah, it was a Developer's shortcut that wasn't removed before release. Still QA should have caught it.
I am always surprised when QA tech only test SW the 'proper' way and don't try to break it. So often they miss errors that way.

I remember when my cousin figured how to 'fix' his Duke Nukem. Of course his mom didn't appreciate him telling a waitress he was 'gonna kick her ass all the way to Burger King'

Hmmm... Pretty suspicious....
If the security expert finds the flaw, no one gets famous. But if he says his 5 year-old son found the issue, he's on the news, junior's on the news and they have their 15 minutes of fame at the same time.

leeb2013

Honorable
Hmmm... Pretty suspicious....
If the security expert finds the flaw, no one gets famous. But if he says his 5 year-old son found the issue, he's on the news, junior's on the news and they have their 15 minutes of fame at the same time.

I totally agree, does anyone else have a 5 year old who would be able to type that specific combination into an XBone to allow them to play other restricted games? His father is a security expect and there's no chance that he could have spotted this flaw?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My girl when she was 5 years old knew the meanings of words like exponential, adolescent, obstetrician, yet had problems spelling cat. My boy at 5 taught himself to read by watching me play StarSeige. I find it simply amazing what kids that age are able to grasp, yet get frustrated when they stumble over the simplest stuff.

Maybe dad is the gamer, and the kid has watched him punch in enough cheat codes... So tried to copy dad, and hit the jackpot code by mistake. Stranger things have happened.

That is true, but my money's still on the fact that '5-year-old discovers security flaw' is going to get way more attention than 'Security expert finds security flaw'.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Sounds like five year old logic to me. How many young kids back in the days of early sattelite tv figured out you can watch the naked channels by holding down a specific button combination on the receiver?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

(holds up hand) (whistles) (looks in a totally different direction)

Status
Not open for further replies.