News Xbox One Series X is Microsoft's Next Console

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I disagree. This looks like a highly efficient design. I think form should be secondary to function. I'm willing to bet this stays relatively quiet under load: much more so than a traditional design. From a hardware standpoint, the Xbox One X was brilliant as far as the cooling capability in such a small footprint. Keep in mind, however, the Series X uses components with much higher TDP and thus thermals so it's doubtful the same design would carry over and be sufficient without being far too loud.

Also: I think it would probably be a bad idea to keep this in a cabinet. This is literally a gaming PC with thermals to match. You wouldn't put your PC in a cabinet and for good reason. (At least, I'd hope not...)

In a way it reminds me of a nuclear power stack. If it glows green out the top it kind of throws back to the original XBox's startup screen which is the inside of a power reactor. (Although Chernkov Radiation is blue) Having a transitioning and shifting green light might be a neat option. (Like a free plasma flow.)

Reactions: bit_user
I disagree. This looks like a highly efficient design. I think form should be secondary to function. I'm willing to bet this stays relatively quiet under load: much more so than a traditional design. From a hardware standpoint, the Xbox One X was brilliant as far as the cooling capability in such a small footprint. Keep in mind, however, the Series X uses components with much higher TDP and thus thermals so it's doubtful the same design would carry over and be sufficient without being far too loud.

Also: I think it would probably be a bad idea to keep this in a cabinet. This is literally a gaming PC with thermals to match. You wouldn't put your PC in a cabinet and for good reason. (At least, I'd hope not...)
I’m not disputing from a technical point of view and the silent claims are good to hear. However when I think of where people I know keep their XBox’s it’s in spaces similar to set top boxes where this looks like it won’t fit. For me this is a box like a subwoofer I need to hide somewhere.

Giroro

Splendid
"Xbox Series X "

Hey Microsoft, the Wii U called. They said they already have an Xbox one X.

Also My TV stand called and said it has no idea how the new Xbox one X will fit on it's AV-sized shelves.

All joking aside, the Xbox one X can't actually pull-off a native 4k30 in most games, so there's no way that a measly "twice as powerful as Xbox one X" is going to be able to pull off 4k60.
I guess this lends validity to the extremely disappointing leaked specs.
Also that name is objectively terrible from a marketing standpoint. A lot of people aren't going to realize its a new xbox.

"Xbox Series X "

Hey Microsoft, the Wii U called. They said they already have an Xbox one X.

Also My TV stand called and said it has no idea how the new Xbox one X will fit on it's AV-sized shelves.

All joking aside, the Xbox one X can't actually pull-off a native 4k30 in most games, so there's no way that a measly "twice as powerful as Xbox one X" is going to be able to pull off 4k60.
Also that name is objectively terrible from a marketing standpoint. A lot of people aren't going to realize its a new xbox.

It will be four times faster than the Xbox One X:
The console itself is designed to be used in both vertical and horizontal orientations, and Microsoft’s Xbox chief, Phil Spencer, promises that it will “deliver four times the processing power of Xbox One X in the most quiet and efficient way.” The Xbox Series X will include a custom-designed CPU based on AMD’s Zen 2 and Radeon RDNA architecture. Microsoft is also using an NVMe SSD on Xbox Series X, which promises to boost load times. Xbox Series X will also support 8K gaming, frame rates of up to 120 fps in games, ray tracing, and variable refresh rate support.
Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/12/21016575/microsoft-xbox-series-x-next-xbox-console

It will be 4K60 but I doubt that it will run any title at 4K120 or 8K30 like they are claiming.

I wonder if this custom RDNA GPU outperforms the 5700XT and if it has hardware ray tracing.
With all these features, I can't imagine how much it will cost, probably something like a gaming PC.

Last edited:

Giroro

Splendid
It will be four times faster than the Xbox One X:
The console itself is designed to be used in both vertical and horizontal orientations, and Microsoft’s Xbox chief, Phil Spencer, promises that it will “deliver four times the processing power of Xbox One X in the most quiet and efficient way.” The Xbox Series X will include a custom-designed CPU based on AMD’s Zen 2 and Radeon RDNA architecture. Microsoft is also using an NVMe SSD on Xbox Series X, which promises to boost load times. Xbox Series X will also support 8K gaming, frame rates of up to 120 fps in games, ray tracing, and variable refresh rate support. Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/12/21016575/microsoft-xbox-series-x-next-xbox-console

It will be 4K60 but I doubt that it will run any title at 4K120 or 8K30 like they are claiming.

"Spencer said that "when we do the math, we’re over eight times the GPU power of the Xbox One, and two times what an Xbox One X is." "

Source: This Article.

I think your quote is about CPU. CPU power has very little effect on the framerate in consoles, or at least usually isn't the primary cause (unless its struggling to load something from storage). Since it's fixed, developers just build their game console around what it can handle. So Scene complexity, physics, AI etc will improve somewhat, but output resolution isn't dictated by CPU.

Even still, a 4x increase in CPU power isn't even that good compared to gains made between previous generations. The Xbox One X really spoiled their ability to brag about how much better the Xbox Series X is supposed to be.

Although, if the rumored 13GB of unified memory for games is true, then that's going to be a significant bottleneck on any game that wants both scene complexity and 4k. The 16GB total pool is, what, only 50% more than a 12GB Xbox one X? The Xbox One had 16x the memory of the 360 - that's what a generational leap should look like.

Most likely not even near 5700... two times faster than previous generation console in gpu... that means something like 5500 speed.

When they say 2x's faster (really 4x's faster from everything I read) they are usually referring to GFLOPs. These are in the compute units. Unfortunately with GCN very few games could actually use all those compute units, so they went unused. rDNA is a much more efficient architecture, so it will get closer to it's true theoretical performance target.

With Radeon Boost, 4K 60fps might be possible.

Reactions: alextheblue

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
Im hearing rumors of 12 TFLOPS And the XT I believe gets 10.29 TFLOPS. So that puts in line with more of a 2080 then it does an XT. Again these are just rumors. Im assuming both Sony and Microsoft will be releasing similar GPUs

Reactions: alextheblue

Giroro

Splendid
With Radeon Boost, 4K 60fps might be possible.

Isn't Radeon Boost dynamic resolution scaling though?
I thought it lowered resolution as needed to increase framerate, and then they upscale to 4k, which is basically what current 4k games are already doing.

My hope is that the new consoles will be fast enough so the majority of games can hit a native 4k30 without having to upscale, at a minimum... And I guess we'll see, but I'm doubtful since publishers still prioritize pretty screenshots over fluid gameplay.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
also designs like this are BETTER for cooling. xbox1x/ps4 designs are not designed well thermally.
How's that design better for cooling?
I don't see any real path for airflow - it looks like it would intake through the bottom, but... that's a very small gap - looks to be top exhaust only.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't high temps the reason for the 'red ring of death' on Microsoft's earlier XBox model?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I like the design for one reason , This tall design means there is an AIO cooler inside .. best performance in a console ever.

Besides , who said it is a small PC ? Bring me a case like this to mkae my PC please !! I had this design in mind and no one ever made it but MS.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I think that case design is a mistake. It is too much like a mini pc and for most home users I doubts that’s what they want in their livingroom. I’d much prefer a flat design that’s easy to loose in a cabinet. Looks a bit like a Corsair One clone.

This design is for the water cooling. I bet that there is an AIO cooler in there.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This design is for the water cooling. I bet that there is an AIO cooler in there.
I doubt that. They just don't have the longevity and reliability of a simple heatsink and fan...
A fan breaks down, you get it replaced. Easy-peasy.
The pump somehow gets clogged... breaks... leaks:
How many people running consoles pay attention to things like temps, frequency, power use, etc?
They just see that's it's not running as it should and is broken, yada-yada.

Sorry, but an AIO in a console isn't a cost-effective solution for neither the company selling the product, nor for the people interested, who, by the way, just want to be able to plug and play...

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
I don't see any real path for airflow - it looks like it would intake through the bottom, but... that's a very small gap - looks to be top exhaust only.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't high temps the reason for the 'red ring of death' on Microsoft's earlier XBox model?
The 'red ring of death' was due to Microsoft changing manufacturing to use lead-free solder. The solder they used for the interconnections of the cpu to the main board couldn't handle the contraction/expansion cycles and would crack. It was a heat related issue, but more easily solved by simply using better quality solder rather than reducing temps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 'red ring of death' was due to Microsoft changing manufacturing to use lead-free solder. The solder they used for the interconnections of the cpu to the main board couldn't handle the contraction/expansion cycles and would crack. It was a heat related issue, but more easily solved by simply using better quality solder rather than reducing temps.
I see.
Thanks for that.

The specs seem fine. What do you want it to have? Anything more would likely be impractical from a cost standpoint. Not many people are likely to spend $1000 on a console.

As for the name, if the rumors are to be believed, there may be two versions of the console at launch, hence why they are using "series" in the name here. For example, there could be a version targeting 4k, and another targeting 1080p. If that's the case, the word "series" might get replaced by something else in the actual product names.

Most likely not even near 5700... two times faster than previous generation console in gpu... that means something like 5500 speed.
Where do you get that from? They're comparing it to the Xbox One X, and that console already offers a similar level of graphics performance as a 5500 XT. Double that would be around 5700 XT levels of performance, plus hardware raytracing, likely making the hardware faster than an RTX 2070.

Although, if the rumored 13GB of unified memory for games is true, then that's going to be a significant bottleneck on any game that wants both scene complexity and 4k. The 16GB total pool is, what, only 50% more than a 12GB Xbox one X? The Xbox One had 16x the memory of the 360 - that's what a generational leap should look like.
Not really. Bear in mind, the Xbox One X only came out 2 years ago as a half-generational premium version of the console targeted at those wanting to game at "4K". It's not like computer hardware is massively improving from one year to the next either, so I wouldn't expect much more than that.

And as far as RAM is concerned, PC games have only recently started to significantly benefit from having more than 8GB of system RAM in demanding titles, and that's for the game, OS and any background applications combined. So while putting 16GB into a gaming PC is now the norm, a good chunk of that memory tends to still be sitting unused while gaming. And sure, that's unified memory also serving as VRAM, but that also likely means that games should be able to make more efficient use of it, rather than having to transfer data in and out of graphics memory.

Additionally, the console will utilize fast SSD storage in place of the hard drives found in existing consoles, so it should be a lot easier to stream data into memory on an as-needed basis, meaning the console shouldn't need to store as much in memory at any given time for a given level of detail. Current PC and console games operate on the assumption that loading data may be slow, so they hold more data in memory than they would have to if it were guaranteed that it could be loaded quickly off an SSD.

They didn't show the back, so it's very likely that there may be additional intake vents there. Plus, due to the efficient tube design, they may not need to move a ton of air through the system to keep temperatures in check. As the article mentioned, the case looks similar in design to that of a Corsair One, which manages to run both cool and quiet using a single large fan at the top to pull air through all of the system's heatsinks.

I like the design for one reason , This tall design means there is an AIO cooler inside .. best performance in a console ever.
I rather doubt that. The whole point of water cooling is that it allows for a potentially larger array of cooling fins than could easily fit directly over the CPU, and allows them to be relocated to a position where they can either exhaust heat directly out of the case, or draw cool air in. In this design, none of that should be needed, since the case is pretty much a vertical tube that will likely exhaust heat directly out the top after pulling it through an array of fins attached to the CPU/GPU. Cool air will be drawn directly into the heatsink with warm air passing out through the top without recirculating through the case. The Corsair One does feature water cooling, but that's using a lot of off-the-shelf components, whereas this system's processor and GPU will be integrated into a single chip on a specially-built circuit board, and they can shape all the components as needed. Additionally, water cooling tends to be less reliable, with the pumps in all-in-one coolers having a tendency to fail after a few years or so, so it seems unlikely that would be something used in a console that's intended to last, without user maintenance, for an entire console generation.

Last edited:
ever seen a corsair 1 take down?
you can arrange the parts better in a mini tower configuration. can have larger heatsinks on parts that need it and have airflow going across more parts.
How many people running consoles pay attention to things like temps, frequency, power use, etc?
likely more than you think.

ever seen how hot a ps4 pro got after hours of gaming? literal furnace.

who knew adding good gaming hardware and cramming it in a tiny box was goign to casue thermal issues?

the new consoles claim to be way betetr than old ones (xbox specifically 2-4 times iirc) and you will REQUIRE better thermal control.
esides , who said it is a small PC ? Bring me a case like this to mkae my PC please !
corsair one.
have buy system thoguh as they dont sell just chassis
I bet that there is an AIO cooler in there.
not necessarily. AIO fail. Also risk leaking (especially in a console that could sit on shelf for a long time and gets moved around during shipping).
The case design allows for larger heatsinks/fans though and more airflow on the parts that need it.

Think of a system (console or pc) having a more tower centric shape allows you better arrangement.

you can place better/more cooling as u have more area to work in and you can place the important parts more "in" the airflow. take a current console as example. it pulls air in and doesnt really get it on all the parts (as it has to go by basically everything ) where as if u keep just the hot parts (say cpu/gpu) right by the intake they get maximum airflow and cooling unobstructed.

Heatsinks are great. small ones are crap. Noctua's towers are amazing...and those are not as big as they can get. you can get custom ones that are flatter, longer, and due to the increase in dispersion work better.

current issue is consoles have trash cooling becasue they stick to small cramped cases while wanting to use high end hardware.

I think that case design is a mistake. It is too much like a mini pc and for most home users I doubts that’s what they want in their livingroom. I’d much prefer a flat design that’s easy to loose in a cabinet. Looks a bit like a Corsair One clone.
I agree. Something that is flat that can fit under your tv or in with the rest of your AV components, AV receiver etc... This thing will be hard to place.