Xbox One Teardown as Console Arrives in New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbudbud

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I believe ign or gamespot did a HDD test with the stock hard drive, hybrid and ssd for thge PS$ so I can imagine they'll be doing one for the XBone as well.

Peacelol

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Doubtful it'll be substantial because they will be bottlenecked. You're better off spending money on a much higher amount of storage space.

At any rate, it should only effect load times, and I believe in one instance they talked about a 20 second load time being reduced to about 10 seconds. The less expensive thing to do is, during a load time, take a drink from your favorite beverage, peer out the window, flick the ash from your cigarette, check for new txt msgs/emails on your smartphone, etc, and you'll never even notice the load time.

carnage9270

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
@Peacelol and banmaster. You are absolutely insane if you don't think a sataII SSD will out perform a 5400 HDD. By leaps and bounds man, leaps and bounds.

carnage9270

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
@sbudbud
Yeah should make things pretty straight forward. As long as they don't put hardware checks in place where the firmware has to match (same for the hard drive).

Unless the game loads are ALL sequential ANY SSD will rock the hard drive even at SATA II.

The best a 5400RPM HDD can do if you are lucky is probably 100MB/s. A SATA II SSD will normally push 250-300MB/s easily.

Add in the insanely higher IOPS, it will be much smoother in loading and if its a game that loads while playing, it will be less noticeable.

Even my SATAII RAID0 felt slow compared to my Intel X-25M SATAII SSD.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Console makers always try to skip out on places they shouldn't. It wouldn't even be that much for them, since they buy in bulk.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Meh, faster RPM, more heat, wears out faster. Considering MS's problems with heat last gen, I can sort of understand this move. 5400 vs 7400 RPM is longevity vs performance... I'll usually take longevity myself.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

7200 RPM HDD's generally run hotter, consume more power and generally make more noise. Those could be a few factors of why they chose 5400 RPM for the drive.

However, if we forget about the heat dissipation in question since I think that would be their (Microsoft) biggest concern, there really is no reason for them to not put in a 7200 RPM HDD.

Or what stevejnb said. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.