Xbox One to Launch November 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
-We have sold out of our pre-order supply in the U.S. faster than at any other time in our history-

I see the average consumer still hasn't learnt anything.

Lord_Kitty

Honorable
May 31, 2013
I still don't get why anyone would purchase the Xbox One over the Playstation 4.

Its clear Microsoft won't be leading the next-gen market.

EDIT: Looks like I've hit some fanboys. I was thinking that Microsoft doing so many U-turns on their policies would have defined a clear leader for next-gen systems.

Translation: We knew people weren't going to like the Xbox One, so our pre-order supply is smaller than ever before.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Come now, try and be honest - you can't see that some people have an interest in the Kinect and Microsoft's exclusives? Heck,you can't even say "I buy Playstation because I feel I shouldn't have to pay to play games online" any more.

Not lining up for either of these systems, but there are plenty of painfully obvious reasons to pick an XBOX One over a PS4, and vice-versa. I think the it's-cool-to-hate-Microsoft fad blinders are blocking an objective assessment of the situation.

And what does "leading the next gen market" have to do with enjoying a system? The PS3 was trailing for most of the last generation and it still had a great lineup of games and was fun to play. Do sales somehow affect your play experience?

joescalon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
@Lord_Kitty You must be the only one that uses your console, or you don't play as much online. My family would not play on a PlayStation even if I made them, too different controller and no kinect. For myself I have heard aweful things about online play with psn, would rather keep Xbox live with a boosted network 300k plus servers, than risk paying for psn, oh and the exclusives, enough said.

thethirdrace

Honorable
May 18, 2012
"Sony's competing next-gen PlayStation 4 will arrive just a few days earlier on November 15 in North America and Canada"

Someone needs a good lesson in geography...

Joshua M Below

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
I'm so happy to finally hear a release date. I'd freeze myself till then because I'm impatient but I don't want to wake up in a future with otters that ride ostrich.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Lord_Kitty, "I don't get why"

...and you never will, 77 million Xbox 360's say otherwise and paying Live Gold subscription hasn't bothered anyone before, so having it on the XB1 is no change apart from better games and features from the previous model, there is no reason to believe any of the previous 77 million won't upgrade over time and stay with Xbox

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Only consoles ive owned were a PS1 and Dreamcast, been PC gaming ever since. Everyone know's Microsoft dropped the ball this time around, with their "deal with it" attitude then reversing course after Sony was kicking the snot out of them in pre-orders few months ago.

Lookin forward to these two slugging it out. /popcorn

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
I think what is more important
Is between sony and MSFT who can get that second shipment in the stores first...

for the more casual shopper looking for an xmas gift

i think the price point thou and MSFT failing to show why the xbox one has $100 more in value will hurt them

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
yah, they make it sound like their the ones leading the Next Generation, when in fact their more than 35 percent behind in console sales and 65 percent in pre-order games for Xbone. THey are going to get their Asses handed to them by spring on 2014.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
@hakesterman The PS4 is leading in preorders, but that's only because of Microsoft's early mistakes. With each policy reversal or other piece of good news, the Xbox One has seen a large boost in preorders. Since Gamescom, the Xbox One standard edition has been ahead on Amazon's daily sales charts and the Xbox One gained several places today with the release date announcement. It's obvious that Microsoft is gaining on Sony now. This generation is still anyone's game.

PS4 will also arrive in almost all of Europe this year, unlike the Xbox One.

"The $499 pricetag includes the console, Kinect 2.0, chat headset, an exclusive achievement, and a controller, but expect many retailers to offer bundles that send that pricetag through the roof."

An archivment? So nowdays microtransactions are also for archivments? Microsoft, you are doing it wrong.

Jprobes

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011

Can you please list the "plenty of painfully obvious reasons" why anyone would pick up an XB1 over a PS4?

The objective assessment of the situation is this - XB1 is less powerful then the PS4. The PS4 has a better set of developer tools (hUMA + DX 11.2+). The PS4 is less expensive by $100. Microsoft has had to change everything since their April reveal (DRM, Kinect, UGP), and could easily go back to the policies they abandoned. Everything on the XB1 is behind a pay wall, including MMO's, video capture and streaming (which is limited to only 5 minutes compared to 15 minutes on the PS4), Netflix, NFL whereas the only thing Sony has put behind a pay wall is Online Multi-player. PS+ is a far superior product than XBL due to the instant game collection, new free games every month for the PSV, PS3 & PS4.

Sony has far better first party developers then Microsoft. Sony's vision of what they want the PS4 to achieve is clearer then Microsoft because Sony went to developers for input on what they wanted from a game console. Looking back on this past generation, Microsoft launched 1 year earlier then the PS3 and was $100-$200 less expensive then the initial PS3's which gave them a large lead in market share in the US.

Microsoft does not have that luxury this time around, they are launching the console 1 week later, $100 more expensive, in 1/3 the countries with 1/3 to 1/2 the demand of the PS4. Microsoft is dead in Japan and they are floundering in Europe. They have resorted to giving away free copies of either Fifa 14 or Forza 5 to increase demand and even that is not working.

Their long term outlook is bleak at this point, the do not have the 1st party developers that can compete with Sony, they are having production issues and they have to rely on timed exclusives like Titanfall to generate demand in 2014.

At the end of the day the only way I see Microsoft competing long term if the US is the only region where they have a decent market share is by leasing the XB1 through cable providers for $10-15/mo. It is a DVR and cable providers could offer it as an upgrade over their original hardware. Either that or they can offer it like T-Mobile does their cellphones, $25 a month for 24 months, which includes 2 years of XBL, which is roughly $600 total. They do not have the systems in place unless they do it through Verizon/ATT/T-Mobile, I have a hard time seeing anyone buying it except for XBL loyalist when right next to it is a superior piece of hardware for $100 cheaper.

While 3rd party launch games may look similar now, the use of hUMA & DX 11.2+ will create a larger gap between the consoles then there was in this generation.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.