Xbox One Users Reporting Broken Disc Drives Out of the Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylark-Torch

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

Octo means 8, and x86 means that the system is running in a 32-bit computing environment. A 64-bit environment is becoming prevailent in new computers because it can make better use of its hardware.

Skylark-Torch

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013

Oh, I didn't catch it, my bad.
Now that I know it's a typo, I can see the humor in it. :p

Pummel

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
If you sell 1 million copies and only 500 are broken, this is a 0.05% fault rate which is more than acceptable.
Unfortunately those buyers of the 500 broken copies will make noise and the media makes it looks like every second XBox1 or PS4 is broken.

jl277013

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have the "will not eject issue". Microsoft is not taking care of their customers as I was on hold for OVER FOUR HOURS with their support and they never offered to send me a replacement. #FAIL

DRUMM3R4CHRIST

Honorable
Nov 25, 2013
Always learn people not to buy a new console when they come out. Quit wanting to be ahead of everyone and give it time. We have seen time and time again that there are going to be issues right off the bat. They should really check these systems out before they put them out to the public. I love Microsoft and Sony, I have the Xbox 360 and the PS3. It took the companies a while to get out all of the bugs just for these two consoles.

jl277013

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Waiting one day or one year would not changed the odds of a hardware failure. I can handle the defect, but not the way Microsoft handled it. Again ... GO AMAZON!

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I don't understand. Every new product has a few failures upon release. The PS4 has them. The XB1 has them. Cars, TVs, even military equipment. These products are designed and assembled by humans. Some will fail. Why is this news? All this does is start a stupid back and forth from the fanboys.

FunSurfer

Distinguished

...well, it IS a Star Wars disc you know...

hannibal

Distinguished
Well the same thing with each console release. They try to make them as cheap as possible and sometimes it means that not all part are working properly. Wait refress models in the next year and everything will be much smoother. Same thing as with new Os versions. Wait for service pack1 at least... Except in consoles you can not upgrade, unless you buy new console if you were in hurry.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The Xbox One seems to have had a little less press than the PS4 in regards to failure rates, but both seem way way way waaaay over reported.

With the PS4 Sony reported a .4% failure rate, that seemed to increase to "under 1%" due to "damage in transit".
- Under 1% DOA is actually a really good success rate for a major electronic device launch, that would rate as best in the industry, beating out even the likes of companies that do very well in this regard, like Apple (iDevices generally have between a 1.5-7% failure rate at launch).

The Xbox One's numbers are harder to find, and since it was a multinational launch, obviously that would effect the amount of DOA units that I see in American social media... but it seems to me like the launch went exceptionally smoothly. No major network issues, and a low failure rate. Only a small number of DOA Blu Ray drives, but, again, nothing to suggest an actual problem. Just normal, or better than normal, failure rate.

Sony and MS have both handled replacing the DOA units in a very consumer friendly way. Sony overnights packaging to send the PS4 back in, and MS has been reported to ship replacement units to effected users before they even send anything back! They're both doing an exceptional job about it, IMHO.

We should see credible media sources out there shouting about how this was the most successful set of console launches in history. But, instead, we have fear mongering BS. *sigh* I don't think either console deserves bad press over this.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Even if the XBOX melted the first time you plugged it in MS stock would not budge. MS makes all its money in the enterprise stuff (server, SQL, visual studio, office, etc) and stuff like that. XBOX means nothing to the MS bottom line.

My Xbox One works great, and there are like 5 people online with this issue.... this isn't anything as bad as the PS4 issues, not even close. Plus a new DVD drive costs them like $5 to replace.

spat55

Distinguished
I hate the first video, the way he holds that disk. All that grease, I always put my finger through the hole in the middle and my thumb on the outside of the disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.