Xbox One Will be Playable at Microsoft Stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

With lower TDP and big airflow box design, I doubt the system will RROD like X360.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I seem to recall reading an article that said Best Buy would have playable Xbox One's available in their stores starting a few weeks before launch. I wonder if that's actually happening, there's no Windows Store near me but there are 2 Best Buys.

I still prefer gaming on a PC, but I pre-ordered One with Ryse. This game looks incredible. I can't wait to see NBA 2K14 on this since every PC release has been nothing but a direct port minus many of the console features anyhow. I look forward to seeing what kind of MMORPGs will be releasing on these consoles as well.

Additionally, simultaneous Skyping/Browsing, Browsing/TV, Gaming/Skyping, TV/Browsing, etc... is pretty cool.

Gaming will be comparable with PS4 gaming. The things outside of gaming are what are really going to set this console apart from the PS4.

Same here. I had all of the last gen consoles. I couldn't stand the PS3 for many reasons and sold it after about 2 months of ownership. I sold the Wii after about six months and the controller novelty wore off. I still have the 360.

Xbox live was good even back in the original Xbox days and it's actually continued to improve over the years with games and things outside of games. I game primarily on my PC, but look forward to the first few years of Xbox One games before the graphical improvements plateau. I don't think I could ever play shooters on a console unless I could pair a keyboard and mouse with them, but any other games seem possible for me with a console.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
So it is being release in only one M$ store in Canada and they pick EDMONTON!?! I mean, I actually really like Edmonton, but it isn't exactly a booming metropolis. I was hoping to try it out here in Vancouver. At least it isn't in Toronto.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Funny... First, there are only a few MS Stores to check out... You'll spot them by being the Apple Stores clone, but minus the customers.

I talked to the manager of one of our local gaming stores (not GameStop and of course much better) that I'm a regular, about the input they get from their other customers. (I didn't give my opinion yet at this time).

He said his customers are ONLY getting the PS4 over the XBo at 10 to 1! Ouch!!
A customer with his young son stopped as he was leaving and added to that number "I'm not touching the xb1"... and I said something similar finally.

MS burned their gamers... they are not forgetting or forgiving anytime soon.

Imagine, if a year later, there are 20m PS4 sales to 2m XBone sales. That would be horrible fail! A year later, it would be 35m total to 3m. Year 3 = 50m vs. 4m.

* Yes I hope I'm right. Microsoft and ballmer deserves to burn.

The MS store by my house is pretty well packed any day these days (no it's not Seattle).

It definitely wasn't when it first opened. I think people were thinking their Apple friends in the store within eyesight might see them which in turn would lower their social standing among that crowd.

I've had an Xbox for years and don't feel burned as a customer. Xbox Live has only gotten better. Like with any console, the games and graphics were as good as they were going to get about 2-3 years in. PSN is still pretty lame. Sony, as a company, has been on a steady decline the past decade. The things outside the gaming is where I see value in these consoles.

At any rate, if you really want to see the best gaming, you're still going to have to drop $2.5-$3K+ on a PC. You could put together a PC with performance comparable to a One or 4 for around $1.2K. Additionally, on the PC, you can upgrade as necessary. With the One or 4, you'll be staring at the same hardware a decade from now.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Being I am old school PC gamer I prefer the keyboard mouse experience with the closed system of a console. With that in mind, I am going to have to wait to see if my current XIM3 works with the xBox One or if I am going to have to buy another XIM emulator to make the keyboard / mouse work with the new console.

Until then, I will stick with my 360.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Really? Last I check... an MS store is just a store that sells MS Partner stuff... that wallmart, Best Buy, etc sells... its forgettable.

What kind of crack are you taking? To get the horse power of an PS4, a $700~800 PC will do the job and then some. Not sure were you're getting this $1200. And $2500~3000 for a top end gaming rig is plain stupid. That for geeks with money to spend. Not many games are going to punish a $200 video card nowadays. And most PC games are console ports with little or no added features of graphic improvements.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Really?
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1DKi2

More power at almost the same price in less than 10 minutes. A little more effort into matching the specs and I could easily match the Xbone price.

Yeah, I call BS on this one, sorry mate.
My computer ran me about $1.2k (minus what I've put into getting audiophile sound) and will flat max out most games at 1080p and 120Hz. The xbone and ps4 aren't going to come close to that... and I built my computer a year ago.

I have to call BS on this one. No $1.2k build is even going to push average framerates for Crysis 3 over the 40fps mark. Look at FRAPS if you're using an Nvidia card. You'll need more tools to measure actual framerates for AMD video cards since they still haven't completely corrected their issues with dropped or runt frames. Look at any benchmarks if you don't believe me.

On the other hand, if you're simply playing DC online or some simple MMO or an auto racing game, a $1.2k build is probably getting you 200-300 fps on Ultra. But throw in Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 or BF3 multiplayer and crank things up to ultra with max AA and there's no reason for you to even have a 120Hz monitor since you won't even be reaching 60fps on a $1.2k build. This is not just me talking. Check any bench mark. Consider the best video card you're going to stick in a decent i5-4670 system totaling $1.2K is a GTX 760 or 7870 (unless your using a $40 1000W junk power supply and other similar crap products, then I guess you're saving some money there).

On a console, they'll be able to optimize things. I would say a $1.2K build's game quality is going to be close to what you'll see on one of the new consoles.

Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, BF3 and Batman Arkham City on Ultra with AA cranked and PhysX where applicable all push high-end systems.

Not to sound like a hardware snob, but I guess if you're used to low-medium settings at 1080p or High/Ultra settings at 1280x1024, it's all good. And if you're rocking Angry Birds and Farmville, you have no need for Geeky high-end hardware.

Look at benchmarks. It's not just my word against yours. It's yours against benchmarks.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

You know how they're optimizing right? Framerates capped at 30 FPS games running at 1080p for xBox One/PS4, AA limited to 4x, reduced texture quality, etc. The "optimizations" are nothing more than reducing quality settings. Few will actually optimize the engine for a particular architecture. Crysis will hit 40 FPS on lower end hardware using the same settings used on consoles.

I agree when you crank down the quality and AA you may get console or better than console performance with a $1.2K PC.

I really haven't read anything with a framerate limitation on the next-gen consoles. Just about every HD TV out there is capable of an input of at least 60Hz. Is that frame rate limitation published by Sony or MS anywhere?

What I'm trying to say is if you want the best gaming experience you're going to be paying $2K-$3K+ (with multi-monitor or high-end 1440p or 1600p you'll be well beyond the $3K mark), I didn't say you need to spend that much to get something better than a console. If your purpose is to game (and you like games that include the best first-person shooters) and you can't afford a build with quality parts and at least a GTX 770 (so you don't have to turn down the details and AA to match a console in performance), I'd go console for gaming as a cost-effective measure for sure.

Since my gaming PC is pretty souped up, to me the value in the next-gen consoles is not so much the gaming as it is what else they will be able to offer within the context of a family entertainment center. It seems like the XBOX One is on the right track within this context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS