Xbox One Will Not Be Backwards Compatible with Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

game junky

Distinguished
I guess that's what happens when you drastically change architecture - kinda surprised they didn't try to build in some emulation since they're doing a little virtualization between the 3 different OS' that run on that thing but that's just me.
Oh well - specs seem promising, but want to see it in action before I shell out the $499 I am guessing it is going to cost.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

yea, that is a minor annoyance, the best thing about the console is that games WILL work on it, or they will fail the same for everyone...
something i cant say about the pc where some devs make a game for hardware that doesn't exist, or program a game so poorly even a pc that far beats the minimum specs plays like crap.

well, sony's the underdog in the console market now... the underdog will always appear to care more because they need to build up consumer loyalty etc. same goes for AMD, HTC, and any other industry underdogs

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Gets better and better every day. Aiming for 1080p gaming in an era of 2560 x 1600 and 5760 x 1200 PC standards, soon looking to 4k tvs.
No backwards compatibility. High price.
Maybe more people will wake up, stop getting pissed on by these consoles and get a proper PC. ffs.

jdwii

Splendid
I love how they surger quote it and don't tell us the exact graphics performance when compared to the PS4, We already knew the CPU was going to be the same as the PS4 and we knew the next xbox would have 8GB of ram. PS4 is said to be around the 7870-7850 range the next Xbox was rumored to be less.

prince_david

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009

Well when Apple went from Power PC to x86, their apps still worked. But yeah I am not really surprised either.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

It would, but you should check out the comments on ign. So many people who don't have a clue about CPU architecture or the significance of a "platform" are up in arms over this relatively expected announcement. Console noobs, I don't usually like to use that term because I think its often overused, but in this case it fits beautifully.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
this is the least excited i have been about next gen consoles ever, maybe thats because I just bought a good gaming pc and consoles now seem pointless, i dont know, but none of it is hyping me up thats for sure.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
"Wouldn't this go without saying due to the platform change."
Nope. Xbox and Xbox 360 were mostly backwards compatible. The thing that changed this time around is the processor instruction set. In other words, games would need to be completely recompiled (i.e. a special version and another purchase) at minimum in order to work on this new TV set top box.

spidey81

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
The one thing that I'm looking forward to in this generation of consoles is better ports to the pc. This is just an assumption based on the fact that you'll have very similar specifications to pc hardware. There's x86 and standard RAM (8GB is pretty standard anymore) along with more modern DX11 capable GPU's.
Console gaming is becoming very similar to what apple is in relation to general pc's. You'll have maybe a couple of limited options that provide a "guaranteed" experience. But like I said, I hope this leads to better and more scalable ports to the PC. And maybe even better multiplayer compatibility across platforms.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008

Are you on crack? Most PC gamers still play on 1080p. MOST people (yes including most PC gamers) don't have the $700 lying around to get a dual GTX 680 solution.

djice

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Everyone seems upset about no backward compatibility, but we never had that with the Nintendo->SuperNES->Nintendo 64->Gamecube. So stop whining and realize if you want a new system then it needs to be different enough to be an upgrade. The other alternative is to go into the PC gaming world and upgrade every couple years vs 5-7 years and still have no backward compatibility. Games from 10 years ago will not play on a new PC correctly so why would games from a 7 year old console work on a new model.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

But they have $500 for a console, plus every single new game that comes out and is drastically over-priced compared to PC?

Between steam and torrents, the cost of a PC, regardless of how much you put into it, pays for itself. $500 PC can do 1080p gaming no problem at all. $750 - $1000 pc can do well above that no problem.

When all is said and done, 1080p is an extremely dated resolution. With the emergence of $300 2560 x 1440 panels, and upcoming 4k TVs that will be affordable by early 2014 at the latest, these new consoles don't make any sense at all. Just like the current console generation launched only capable of 720p gaming when 1080p was practically the norm for PC games, they're doing the same thing right now with the next gen. Then everyone is going to sit around for 5 or 6 years, again, on dated resolutions and sub par hardware. And for what? So you can spend $10, $20, $30, $40 more per game?

Anyone with common sense who has to pick between console and PC, is going to pick PC. Everyone else is going to get ripped off.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Any 6 year old PC with a core2duo, 2gb of ram and 8800GT system (equivalent or better) will play games at the same/better resolution as consoles do (720p).

You only need to upgrade your system if you're trying to out-do consoles in the graphics department.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

I can play EVERY SINGLE PC GAME I've ever owned from 15 years back (warcraft 2, diablo, starcraft, age of empires) on Windows 8. Another game that haven't worked on XP, Vista nor 7 called Hexplore also miraculously works on 8. I can also play any 16-bit DOS games using DOSBox and last but not least, all the console games that have the emulators/roms released.

Your argument is invalid.

-PC master race

claber

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
Everyone keeps on repeating that the XBox will not be backwards compatible but the PS4 will with the "streaming from the cloud". It is that same BS that Sony fed to people when the PS3 launched. Stop for a minute and think:
- In order to stream from the cloud, you will need a PS3 level hardware on the other
side for each person that wants to play;
- LAG: There will be the lag of the connection (input and response) + streaming the video. Unless you have google fiber, it is a no go.
- Free?: To have all that infrastructure running in the background for free? Expect a paid PSN for that;
- Remember the backwards compat of the PS3, with Linux? Right... everyone bought into that and ended up played for a fool by Sony, which removed Linux support at SW level and compat at HW level.
Backwards compatibility is just not good for business. Game developers/publishers as well as MS and Sony don't want that.

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
"Xbox One Will Not Be Backwards Compatible with Xbox 360"... or we would not be able to resell you the same games again and again...
But my favorite must be "The system is based on a different core architecture, so back-compat doesn't really work from that perspective,". What perspective was that? yeah right.
Oh well, you do not HAVE to buy the new one I guess.

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Wow this thread is worse then Isheep talking about android or the other way around... Come on just accept that for a lot of people consoles work better for them. If all you can do is complain about consoles get out of the thread you don't add anything to the conversation

There is not many consoles that will play last gens games so this was expected even before we knew that it would use a 64bit processor. I don't really care if it play 360 games or not. I want it to have its own games and features

Status
Not open for further replies.