Xbox One Will Support Eight Controllers at Once

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
This is actually kind of neat for Bomberman type games where screen zoom doesn't really become an issue, but everyone needs to control simultaneously. I doubt more than a tiny, tiny percentile of XBOX owners will actually make use of it, but still, neat.

On a side note... Why is there next to no PS4 news on this site? It seems you can't go a day without tripping over news on the XBOX, but the PS4 front is very quiet. Site bias, or does Sony just not say much on the PS4?

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
"On a side note... Why is there next to no PS4 news on this site? It seems you can't go a day without tripping over news on the XBOX, but the PS4 front is very quiet. Site bias, or does Sony just not say much on the PS4?"

Because Microsoft pays more.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Classzero, concerning your first post, not all multiplayer games are split screen. I used to LAN Bomberman and it was a hoot with more than four people - but, simply put, all the people were always on the same screen, so 8 controllers would be quite handy in very rare circumstances for very rare types of games.

Concerning your second post... Do you have even a hint of a whiff of a glimmer of evidence supporting that Microsoft pays Tom's? I was hoping for at least a semi-credible answer.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Fair question Dax, and I'll ask you an honest question in return. Can you think of any single screen game that would actually coherently have 16 people on the same screen at the same time, since split screen obviously wouldn't work? In the case of Bomberman, I found the sweet spot was 6 players - but 8 was pushing it for actually being able to tell what was going on.

I'm genuinely curious - what would you do with 16 controllers on a console? Even with 8, I recognize that the times it might actually be used would be *incredibly* rare to the extent where it's at best a little "meh, kinda cool and I *might* use it one day, but I could do without" feature. 16 I could never see me using.

Edit: The potential for more than 4 people in a rhythm game is there as well. A *lot* of bands are five people, after all. Though, the logistics of this still put it as a "once in a blue moon" type of thing.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

You know, you might be right. Heck, particularly with the resurgence of retro graphics styles and whatnot, a giant Pac-Man type thing *loaded* with people makes sense. Honesty question, and I got an honest answer that made sense. Pity they did stop at 8 and, if it wouldn't have required some fancy new hardware, it's a pity they didn't add more controllers...

And Invalid, I know how you feel. When I was a kid it seemed like I could pay attention to all the flashing lights a lot better. Now? Oye... Give me a 60 inch screen and one figure filling up a big chunk of it to focus on an I'm good. Actually, upon further consideration, I'd probably just embarrass myself if I ever try more than 4 people in Bomberman again... Getting old.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007

All I can think of is a game that would require two controllers per player, but these would be different controllers such as a freehand mouse + light gun. It could also be used for complex motion tracking.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
If you could attach 8 displays, each one with its own controller, so you could have a local LAN party, this would be great - otherwise you would need a MASSIVE screen to have split screen be useful, like a projector or a cinema

TheViper

Distinguished
This is because of the specifications of BlueTooth. Up to 8 devices can be utilized. 1 master device and 7 slave devices. The master device being the console itself.

The Wii, Wii U, PS3 and PS4 are the same though only MS is silly enough to actually claim 8 controllers at once.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
@stevejnb

i was wondering the same about the PS4... maybe if we were in Japan things would be the opposite, or maybe MSFT is just more open lip about their system

all these articles are really just fluff thou and really mean much
Sony has already sold all its pre orders so they dont need any fluff articles

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Are you sure about that?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80967/xbox-one-supports-eight-controllers-ps4-only-four

Several other articles more or less confirmed the sentiment of this one. With the quality of journalism these days I'm not saying this is accurate, but... Are you sure that both the PS4, Wii, and Wii U are all the same?

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Single screen use games (maybe fighters or something) could be insane with 8 players at once. 4v4 would be great fun, shame they cost the same as a game.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013

First of all not all games have to go in split screen to work with multiple controllers (take SSB and Trine for example) and second I can, you just need 4 displays each split in 2 XD.

On a more serious note I am seeing less and less games supporting split screen so I doubt it will be useful. On the other hand if the wireless communication supports it I also see no reason to limit the amount of controllers. Even when its not useful it's certainly not harmful.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Seven, according to the article I posted three above you. Admittedly, I've never had more than 2 hooked up to my PS3... The Tales games are great for two players if you like JRPGs.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
"I have never connected more than 2. I can imagine your screen split 8 times for 8 controllers . . ."

No, your screen splits 4 times. Not 8.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
4 controller is probably already overkill... 8 controllers? Unless you have a gigantic TV you can't even see what's happening in the game for each individual user.

Bill Reinhardt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013

FUZION FRENZY WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.