Xbox One Will Support Eight Controllers at Once

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheViper

Distinguished

Hi Steve.

As a member of the video game industry media, I can tell you only too well that it's common for sites to report news without understanding what it is they are actually reporting (actually...regurgitating given that damn near none of them do anything more than rewrite press releases).

And as someone with a technical background, I can tell you that the properties of BlueTooth limit your connective devices to a total of 8. BlueTooth uses a piconet setup. Each device has a 3 bit address which means only 2^3 devices can be connected (8 total).

There is such a thing as a Scatternet which is an ad hoc network of multiple BluTooth piconets. The problem is that BlueTooth wasn't designed for this and even if you did use it, you would double your potential device totals. And since the XOne is limited to 8, not 16, it's not likely using a Scatternet...otherwise why limit it to the already known 8 that standard BlueTooth already supports?

And I know those other consoles support the same because they also use BlueTooth. Sony even announced 7 concurrent controllers for the PS3 way back when the system was announced (remember, the console counts as 1 device too).

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
Most Generic PCs can support 8 controllers by default and you can expand if you need more.

On a serious note. 8 'gamers' (not for putting down console gamers, more for a fill in the blank) would be hard to fit in front of 1 TV, on the living room furniture. 16 would be ridiculous.

InvalidError

Titan

Maybe some people have double-decked couches in their living rooms...

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

NOW we're talkin' ;)

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Agreed! The PS line tends to be the clear cut king of JRPGs. Quite curious to see its progression.

Tom's, why no PS4 love?

someperson123

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
To everyone discussing the Bluetooth capabilities of the Xbox One... doesn't the controller use Wi-Di (WiFi Direct) for the controller sync, and not Bluetooth?

I may be wrong, but I was pretty certain I read that. While Wi-Di does contain similar basic principles to Blueooth, it actually has different limitations and benefits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WiFi_Direct

sneakyazshiite

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
twitter.com

Ill tell you what, ill go out and buy the controllers. you get the TV. grab 3 friends each and we got a date.

Status
Not open for further replies.