Xbox One Wireless Adapter Now Supports Windows 7, 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinKikaru

Reputable
Dec 11, 2015
Now if it were only backwards compatible with the Xbox360 controllers... That would make this adapter an instant buy for me.

I have not used the XboxOne controller yet but I haven't seen a compelling reason to upgrade quite yet.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Punk move MS. If people are so determined to use outdated technology then let them deal with the drawbacks of that. You should not be rewarding people for purposely staying behind the times. If they want to stay on 7 and 8.1 then screw em they don't get to play with the new toys.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Someone like me... I do most of my gaming on my HTPC from the couch. I'm currently using the 360 controller and adapter... But I bought the XBO version during black Friday sales.

I'm still using Win 7 because i wanted to give Win 10 a chance to have more bugs ironed out. I'll Install my free upgradea week or two before or goes away.

In the mean time, this is good news for me.

honkuimushi

Reputable
Apr 30, 2015
This may sound silly but what exactly is this used for?
This allows you to use a Xbox One wireless controller to play games on your computer. You could use the controllers before with a wired attachment. But now users with Windows 7 or 8.1 can play without the attachment. As the article said, if you had Windows 10, you could have used this from October.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
First thing first: I can't thumb people up or down on mobile.

Second: $25 is not cheap by any means. $15 is far more reasonable

Third: This should have been the case from the get go, but is welcome nonetheless.

I have win 10, and people should not be forced to upgrade all their products and force them into some unified environment. If Windows 10 is truly a long term windows, anyone who doesn't upgrade by June is either a moron or a pirate since they will eventually be forced to once win 7 and win 8 lose support.

Does anyone know if this maps properly with old 360 mapped games???

dstarr3

Distinguished

I think $25 is fair. It's not like you have to buy one for each controller. If you want something cheaper, you can go with the third-party knock-offs that NEVER work properly. For me, I don't mind spending a small Microsoft-branded premium for something that I know will be 100% compatible and will work 100% of the time.

Now if it were only backwards compatible with the Xbox360 controllers... That would make this adapter an instant buy for me.

I have not used the XboxOne controller yet but I haven't seen a compelling reason to upgrade quite yet.

As far as XBOX360 goes... there's a billion and one $8 wireless adapters on ebay. So that ship has sailed, you can get those dirt cheap now.

karmazyn

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011

My 360 wireless adapter blew a fuse after 6 months I think. I fixed it with a bit of solder and it's been working fine ever since but AFAIK it was a common problem.

alextheblue

Distinguished

360 controllers still work fine, that much is true. But I think this is really nice for those who own an XB1 and thus already have a controller. I'm probably going to pick one up an XB1 at some point... one other great feature honkuimushi pointed out is that you don't need to choose between wired and wireless like the 360. You can hook up a microUSB cable to the XB1 wireless controller and use it on PC without an adapter, so there's more flexibility.

weilin

Distinguished
I just got mine working. Some notes:

Run windows update to get the driver for the wireless device. There is no re-distributable download posted for the driver.

Right clicking the unrecognized device and selecting "properties" ->"driver" tab -> "update driver" -> "search automatically for updated driver software" does NOT work. The driver will NOT be found even if it searches Windows Update. Microsoft should really fix this...

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

I think $25 is fair. It's not like you have to buy one for each controller. If you want something cheaper, you can go with the third-party knock-offs that NEVER work properly. For me, I don't mind spending a small Microsoft-branded premium for something that I know will be 100% compatible and will work 100% of the time.
there is no such thing as 100% in the tech world. and it's a dongle. A DONGLE. you know, the things that come for FREE with SO MANY OTHER PRODUCTS THAT REQUIRE THEM.

let's not forget that MS took their time releasing it. i stick with my "$25 is too much" sentiment. i'll grab it on a sale.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
Oh look, once again Microsoft only changes their anti-consumer polices after hundreds of complaints and overwhelming Internet pressure. Microsoft's gaming division makes Sony look good and that's pretty difficult.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
Pretty sure the Wireless Adapter retails for $24.99
Pretty sure the Wireless adapter retails for $24.99
Yeah, the adapter is cheap, $25.. no way it's $50.. come on toms

The source for the news was Larry Hyrb's Twitter feed.
https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/675012608248913920

he provide a link to the adaptor at Amazon right in that tweet, which has a listed price of $49.99

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ZB7W4QU/34a6-20?linkId=19478340

I had no reason to question the listed price based on its source, especially because that it Microsoft's Amazon page listing it at $49.99
Amazon also generally has competitive pricing on things like this, though the Microsoft Store has them out of stock right now so take that as you will.

spagalicious

Distinguished

That's fine, but it is $24.99 literally everywhere else and most certainly not out of stock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103517s

Not sure why it is so expensive.

There is a combo deal for XB1 Controller + Wireless Dongle for $79.95 which does not reflect Amazon's price for the dongle alone.
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Controller-Wireless-Adapter-Windows/dp/B015IX3X3E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1450113502&sr=8-4&keywords=windows+xbox+wireless+adapter

I think microsoft has coordinated a price gauge for their Amazon store conveniently timed with the holiday shopping rush. That sounds like the microsoft we know and love.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

there is no such thing as 100% in the tech world. and it's a dongle. A DONGLE. you know, the things that come for FREE with SO MANY OTHER PRODUCTS THAT REQUIRE THEM.

let's not forget that MS took their time releasing it. i stick with my "$25 is too much" sentiment. i'll grab it on a sale.
This is not included because the XBoxOne controller is meant to be used with the XBoxOne, the use on a PC is a separate thing and would require an adapter. Hell you can't even officially use the PS4 controller on the PC without separate software and (if you don't have bluetooth built in) an adapter that you have to buy. Expecting the controller to have an adapter for the PC is just not something a logical person would think since it make no real sense and for someone who only uses it for the console (its primary use) is useless.

DoctorSnoopy

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
This is not included because the XBoxOne controller is meant to be used with the XBoxOne, the use on a PC is a separate thing and would require an adapter. Hell you can't even officially use the PS4 controller on the PC without separate software and (if you don't have bluetooth built in) an adapter that you have to buy. Expecting the controller to have an adapter for the PC is just not something a logical person would think since it make no real sense and for someone who only uses it for the console (its primary use) is useless.

The xbox one controller is definitely suppose to be used with windows, it's part of Microsoft's plan to create one giant ecosystem. Plus there actually is a bundle for it although it's debatable if it should be free https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/gaming/xbox-one-controller-wireless-adapter-for-windows10/ng6-00001 I personally feel $25 retail is fine especially since chances are it'll go on sale. After all it supports 8 controllers and 4 headsets

Also saying use on a PC is a separate thing and would require an adapter is partially false. I have the xbox one controller with a micro usb cable and it works as intended on windows 7, many games have controller support and Microsoft even released a windows version for the xbox 360 so they knew there was demand. Why the wireless adapter required Windows 10 before is a mystery especially since the adapter came out about a year after the console/controller

matlegeek

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
Nobody reads correctly ?

Yeah it is 48.99$ on the amazon page... but it's not sold by amazon. It's a reseller that have stock and sell them at a higher price because of the limited availability...

Sold by mnbiz (tax free) and Fulfilled by Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.