supermarine

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
Hello!

I need your kind help.

I'm having some issues with my XBox One wireless controller. Specifically, the sticks display some very weird lag and unresponsiveness. I detected it first while trying to play Horizon Zero Dawn via Steam. Reinstalled, verified integrity of game files. Reset the settings multiple times, experimented with different combinations. I tried everything to no avail.

Today I wanted to play Assassin's Creed Origins with the same result. It makes the game unplayable, and the gamer very sad. What's interesting is that I could play ACO without issue before upgrading to Windows 10. No hardware changes.

Some extra information that might be useful:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1080

All drivers and programs updated.

At first I blamed it on the gamepad, or some configuration issue. I messed around with Steam's settings (like dead zones), reinstalled, updated everything updateable, including the controller's drivers, the GPU's, etc. Asked for help in the games' forums, and even directly on HZD website.

My Xbox One controller is paired with the official Microsoft dongle for PC. Both work perfectly fine, as always have, for what I can see with other games. The exact same problem happens when connected with the original USB cable, or any other, for that matter. So, it's not an issue of placement, signal blocking, interference, distance, etc. I have played with it for over 5 years without issue until now, and then it's only with certain games. The batteries are new. I have not dropped or smashed the controller in any way, it has not been chewed by my cat. The rest of the hardware is the same as always.

The only recent change is the OS--I recently updgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. Brand new installation, same SSD and HDs. This happened about a month ago.

I have performed some tests with my favorite games, some of them quite recent, and other random ones, to see what happens. So far, the results are:
The Witcher 3 - Played before and now, no problems.
Horizon Zero Dawn - Unplayable in Windows 7 by default, unplayable now due to horrendous lag.
Assassin's Creed Black Flag - Playable before and now, no problems.
Assassin's Creed Origins - Perfectly playable before, horrendous lag now.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - Unplayable in Windows 7 by default, playable now without issues.
Super Mega Baseball 3 - Playable before and now, no problems.
Dungeon of Naheulbeuk - Playable before and now, no problems.
Jurassic World Evolution 2 - Playable before and now, no problems.
Far Cry Primal - Playable before and now, no problems.
Armello - Playable before and now, no problems.
Resident Evil Village - Unplayable in Windows 7 by default, playable now without issues.

Naturally, I thought it was only HZD's problem at first. That until today, when I tried to play ACO again and found the same problem--which did not happen before. It puzzles me that an old game like ACO behaves like that.

The games themselves perform fine on their own, the problem is when the Xbox One controller is involved. I am able to play all of them with M+KB without problems.

What do I mean "laggy and unresponsive"?
It's only the controller's sticks. The buttons work fine, all of them. Imagine you push forward the left stick so that the character starts running. Then you want to look left, so use the right stick accordingly. The order takes half a second to register, so the camera does not turn left at once. But then you release the left stick and the character stops after one full second--the time varies. Then you give the right stick a small nudge to look left again. You push and release, carefully, because you don't want a full 90° camera turn, only about 15° to the left. The game behaves as if the stick is fully pushed, and the camera starts rotating on its own, fast. You are no longer pressing or touching anything, but the camera keeps orbiting like crazy. It will stop after 4 seconds or more. Impossible to move, impossible to aim.

So, it's not an entirely consistent "input lag"; it is not a fixed-time delay. Rather, the input works erratically. But only in these two games, and who knows which other.

Also, it's only the sticks, not the buttons.

What do I believe so far?
It might have something to do with Windows 10, or the way it interacts with certain games--perhaps something about the configuration for each one. Not really sure, but it's the only change, and it was a major one.

Could it have something to do with the graphics or video options? I did not have any problems before with the AC games, while using Windows 7.

Any insight is appreciated. It's driving me nuts.

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Since you've stated being on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS. Please include the BISO version for your motherboard as well.

Brand new installation
Where did you source the installer from?

supermarine

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

Thanks for your reply. Initially I did not see how my monitor or chassis could have anything to do with the issue, but they might as well, you are right. I included them in the format, as requested:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard: ASUS B85M-G R2.0 (BIOS Date 03/25/14 09:58:23 Ver: 03.10)
Ram: 2x Kingston HyperX RAM Fury 8GB 3000Mhz DDR4 CL15 UDIMM
SSD/HDD: SSD Crucial MX500, 500GB SATA III (Windows), Seagate Barracuda ST2000DMZ08 2TB (games)
GPU: Aorus Nvidia GeForce GTX1080 16GB (driver version 511.79)
PSU: 525 Watts Cooler Master Extreme 2
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF 912
Monitor: HP W9S97AA Omen Gamer 32" 2560 X 1440@75 Hz

Since you've stated being on Windows 10, please state the version(not edition) of the OS. Please include the BISO version for your motherboard as well.

Brand new installation
Where did you source the installer from?

My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 Bits, version 21H2, compilation 19044.1526.

It was bought and installed directly from the Microsoft website (bought around November last year, installed January 2022). The OS itself is up to date as we speak.

Thanks again.