Question Xbox One X graphics on PC

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hey fellas. I was wondering what graphics settings does an Xbox one x is set at compared to a PC. Is it medium, high or ultra. I mean I see many videos on YouTube comparing the console to an ultra setting PC but I doubt Xbox one x is set to ultra. The reason is I wanted to build a PC similar to Xbox one x for my nephew. Thanks.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hey fellas. I was wondering what graphics settings does an Xbox one x is set at compared to a PC. Is it medium, high or ultra. I mean I see many videos on YouTube comparing the console to an ultra setting PC but I doubt Xbox one x is set to ultra. The reason is I wanted to build a PC similar to Xbox one x for my nephew. Thanks.

Since the Xbox One X will cost $500, it is more or less comparable to a standard mid range PC. Even then, you can still get a more powerful PC than the current consoles at $500-600. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

Last edited:

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
You also have to take in account that for years consoles have been using some clever dynamic up-scaling to appear at higher resolutions and texture quality.

And also take into account those cheap, long obsolete jaguar CPU's they use. Thank the video game gods that they are finally moving on to the current Zen 2 Ryzen CPU's.

I have a couple of games on pc and XBox One X. At 1080p the the One X is about medium settings, however at 4K the One X has ways of ‘cheating’ to achieve 4K you don’t get on pc and it’s really hard to compare. It is even less than medium settings as it’s not true 4K.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I have a couple of games on pc and XBox One X. At 1080p the the One X is about medium settings, however at 4K the One X has ways of ‘cheating’ to achieve 4K you don’t get on pc and it’s really hard to compare. It is even less than medium settings as it’s not true 4K.

I don't even understand the appeal of 4K gaming anyway. You can't get a decent performance at that resolution in most of the more demanding games even with a high end PC that cost a months worth in rent and groceries.

I don't even understand the appeal of 4K gaming anyway. You can't get a decent performance at that resolution in most of the more demanding games even with a high end PC that cost a months worth in rent and groceries.
Depends on the type of games you play and a months worth of rent and groceries is very different from one person to the next. My system can run 4K 60fps at decent settings (2080 Super) but I actually use it for 1440p 144Hz as I prefer FPS games on PC. I do play Gears 5 on XBox at 4K HDR with friends and it is much nicer than 1080p and even though it’s not true 4K it’s definitely a step up. It is also easier for me to use my racing seat in the living room with the XBox and it’s 4K on a TV which is really enjoyable and fine at 60fps.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Depends on the type of games you play and a months worth of rent and groceries is very different from one person to the next. My system can run 4K 60fps at decent settings (2080 Super) but I actually use it for 1440p 144Hz as I prefer FPS games on PC. I do play Gears 5 on XBox at 4K HDR with friends and it is much nicer than 1080p and even though it’s not true 4K it’s definitely a step up. It is also easier for me to use my racing seat in the living room with the XBox and it’s 4K on a TV which is really enjoyable and fine at 60fps.

Way I see it, if you are spending a grand or more on a high end PC for 4K, you're doing it for the wrong reason. 4K gaming won't perform as advertised in half the demanding games out there.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Way I see it, if you are spending a grand or more on a high end PC for 4K, you're doing it for the wrong reason. 4K gaming won't perform as advertised in half the demanding games out there.

Sorry but that's outdated in my experience. I can run any game at 60+ fps at 4k but just not at max settings however they still look excellent and way better than the One X. I can also see why games that don't rely on the fastest reaction times can benefit from 4k where they look better. I feel 4k has a place and will suit some gamers and/or game genres. I'm fortunate that I can try 4k even though my main aim is 1440p 144Hz for FPS gaming where I prefer keyboard and mouse.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Sorry but that's outdated in my experience. I can run any game at 60+ fps at 4k but just not at max settings however they still look excellent and way better than the One X. I can also see why games that don't rely on the fastest reaction times can benefit from 4k where they look better. I feel 4k has a place and will suit some gamers and/or game genres. I'm fortunate that I can try 4k even though my main aim is 1440p 144Hz for FPS gaming where I prefer keyboard and mouse.

Yes, exactly, not at max settings. That's how these processors are marketed, and they are proven to be not up to task in benchmarks. For all that money people spend on these cards, they better be able to play the most demanding games on their highest settings in 4K at 60 fps. I'd be inclined to call it a rip off, but I don't want to go there.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly, not at max settings. That's how these processors are marketed, and they are proven to be not up to task in benchmarks. For all that money people spend on these cards, they better be able to play the most demanding games on their highest settings in 4K at 60 fps. I'd be inclined to call it a rip off, but I don't want to go there.
Why? That's more to do with the game developers creating games that push the current hardware to the extreme. However it makes their games still look good in several years time when more powerful hardware can run max settings with ease. How is this any different to how hard Ray Tracing can hit fps even at 1080p or 1440p?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Why? That's more to do with the game developers creating games that push the current hardware to the extreme. However it makes their games still look good in several years time when more powerful hardware can run max settings with ease. How is this any different to how hard Ray Tracing can hit fps even at 1080p or 1440p?

More powerful hardware? Like what, the 2080 TI? Not even Nvidia's mighty GPU can handle games like Red Dead Redemption 2 at 4K, not at 60 fps. If you are fine with 40 fps, cool, but not at the price tag of over a grand if it were me paying for it, no freaking way.

More powerful hardware? Like what, the 2080 TI? Not even Nvidia's mighty GPU can handle games like Red Dead Redemption 2 at 4K, not at 60 fps. If you are fine with 40 fps, cool, but not at the price tag of over a grand if it were me paying for it, no freaking way.
There is always a jump in gpu performance at the top end from NVidia, just look at the jumps between 780Ti, 980Ti, 1080Ti and 2080Ti. The 3000 series is already planned for H2 2020 so chances are the 2080Ti has less than a year left as king.

Why do you have to run max settings? Games still look great if you turn down settings where a 2080/2080 Super can achieve 60fps including RDR2. There have always been games that can’t be run at max settings 60fps on the consumer hardware available at there release.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
There is always a jump in gpu performance at the top end from NVidia, just look at the jumps between 780Ti, 980Ti, 1080Ti and 2080Ti. The 3000 series is already planned for H2 2020 so chances are the 2080Ti has less than a year left as king.

Why do you have to run max settings? Games still look great if you turn down settings where a 2080/2080 Super can achieve 60fps including RDR2. There have always been games that can’t be run at max settings 60fps on the consumer hardware available at there release.

Even well after release, and all the driver updates and such, work horses like the 2080TI can't handle 4K ultra at 60 frames in some of these games. Assassins Creed: Odyssey is one of the games that was bench marked months after its release, and the most you'll get is 50 fps if you are lucky. I am reasonably certain that Red Dead Redemption 2 will end up being exactly the same case months from now. You got me all the way ** up if you think I'm forking over $1200 for anything less than a guaranteed steady 60 fps, ultra settings, at 4K. Sure it can run these games no problem at 4K at lowered settings, but again, I consider the price tag for these processors an absolute rip off for what they are promising they are capable of.

Even well after release, and all the driver updates and such, work horses like the 2080TI can't handle 4K ultra at 60 frames in some of these games. Assassins Creed: Odyssey is one of the games that was bench marked months after its release, and the most you'll get is 50 fps if you are lucky. I am reasonably certain that Red Dead Redemption 2 will end up being exactly the same case months from now. You got me all the way ** up if you think I'm forking over $1200 for anything less than a guaranteed steady 60 fps, ultra settings, at 4K. Sure it can run these games no problem at 4K at lowered settings, but again, I consider the price tag for these processors an absolute rip off for what they are promising they are capable of.
They never promised to run all games at max settings 4K 60fps, however the 2080Ti is undisputed as the strongest consumer grade gpu. I agree the prices are poor value for money but the same is true of pretty much all market leading products, they usually exist to fill a small niche market. If people weren't buying them they would drop the price.

Ok, we get it. You don't like 4k gaming. Awesome! Great!

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
They never promised to run all games at max settings 4K 60fps, however the 2080Ti is undisputed as the strongest consumer grade gpu. I agree the prices are poor value for money but the same is true of pretty much all market leading products, they usually exist to fill a small niche market. If people weren't buying them they would drop the price.

If they aren't promising 4K ultra at 60 frames, then they should be for the price tag, or don't and reduce the price. That's the way I see it.

If they aren't promising 4K ultra at 60 frames, then they should be for the price tag, or don't and reduce the price. That's the way I see it.
Then don't buy one. Just think about that idea though, NVidia would have to stop game developers releasing games that push the limits of hardware. This is at least equally or more about games being released that are too hard for current gpu's to achieve these settings. If they released RDR2 but called 'high' settings 'ultra' and didn't release the higher settings then your point would go away for this game. This however would be bad for gamers and the development of pushing the limits. Game and hardware development needs to push each other and not let one dictate the other.