XBox party games for gamers and non-gamers?

My buddies and I are going on vacation, and I plan on taking my XBox.
The three of us consist of a serious gamer (me), a guy who plays
occasionally, and a guy who doesn't game very much at all.

Obviously some of the games I consider fun (e.g. Dead Or Alive 3) will
be out of their league; I know the combos, but they've never played, and
none of us will have any fun. Even stuff like cooperative Halo might be
a little too much for them to pick up and become skilled in just a week.

So what "party games" are out there that both gamers and non-gamers can
pick up fairly quickly and enjoy playing with each other? The PS2 has
Mario Kart. The Gamecube has Wario Ware. What about the XBox?

Thanks to anyone who has suggestions!

"George Adams" <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote in message

> So what "party games" are out there that both gamers and non-gamers can
> pick up fairly quickly and enjoy playing with each other? The PS2 has
> Mario Kart. The Gamecube has Wario Ware. What about the XBox?

I second Crimson Skies. Also, consider:

D&D: Heroes - hack-and-slash with up to 4 players on same-screen co-op. Fun
stuff.

Fuzion Frenzy - mucho mini-games with up to 4 players on same-screen
competitive. Stuff like grab orbs, knock opponents off of waterfall, race
around and shoot with tanks, etc.

If you'll have broadband and XBL you can take guests into Halo2 with your
account and do some of the training playlists. Good mix of talent in those
games.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, little robot-shooter with 4-player
split-screen, easy to pick up and play since it's just run-and-shoot
basically.

Have a great vacation.

George Adams <g_adams27@hotmail.spambgone.com> wrote:

> Obviously some of the games I consider fun (e.g. Dead Or Alive 3) will
> be out of their league; I know the combos, but they've never played, and
> none of us will have any fun. Even stuff like cooperative Halo might be
> a little too much for them to pick up and become skilled in just a week.

I don't see what'd be wrong with DOA3... The system seems designed such
that mindless button mashing will be pretty effective against a moderately
skilled opponent. Besides, you can't beat the eye-candy...unless you're
talking DOA-VB - which also might be a good choice. Will even support the
3 of you playing at once.

"George Adams" <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote in message
> My buddies and I are going on vacation, and I plan on taking my XBox.
> The three of us consist of a serious gamer (me), a guy who plays
> occasionally, and a guy who doesn't game very much at all.
>
> Obviously some of the games I consider fun (e.g. Dead Or Alive 3) will
> be out of their league; I know the combos, but they've never played, and
> none of us will have any fun. Even stuff like cooperative Halo might be
> a little too much for them to pick up and become skilled in just a week.
>
> So what "party games" are out there that both gamers and non-gamers can
> pick up fairly quickly and enjoy playing with each other? The PS2 has
> Mario Kart. The Gamecube has Wario Ware. What about the XBox?
>
> Thanks to anyone who has suggestions!

your bud's will definetly be able to play DOA3, button mashing works way too
well in that game (hence: its not much of a fighting game). A great and
cheap party game you could pick up is Super Monkey Ball Deluxe, great for
gamers and non-gamers alike. Aside from that, Lego Star Wars is a fun
mindless beat-em-up that anyone can play and has a hell of alot of style
(star wars licence aside) and many of the co-op beat-em-ups can be fun
(Baldurs Gate, DND Heroes, etc). SSX / Tricky is great as well and can be
played by anyone although I found the learning curve in SSX3 a little higher
and has frustrated many of my non-gamer buds and they are all dirt cheap
right now.

HTH
Wurm

Thanks to everyone who replied! A couple of followup comments/questions:

1) Much as I'd love to play Dead Or Alive 3 with them, I think it really
WILL be beyond them. I'm not an expert, but I know several combos with
each character, and more importantly I know how to time a
block/counter-attack. Those things will be sufficiently "advanced" for
them so that, although they might enjoy playing EACH OTHER, it won't
really be much fun for them to take on me, and vice versa. We need
something that we're all equally good (or bad) at.

2) Crimson Skies sounds interesting, but do you need to system link to
play multiplayer? Or can 2-3 players play on a single (large) TV?
(It's just going to be us 3 guys playing on a single XBox)

3) Fusion Frenzy didn't seem to get many great reviews from Gamespot,
Gamespy, etc. but if it's sufficiently amusing for a week, that's all I
really ask...

4) Super Monkey Ball Deluxe DID sound like fun, both in single player
and multiplayer mode. Think it's the kind of game that non-gamers can
get into fairly easily?

5) I actually can get my hands on a PS2 or Gamecube for the week, if I
want (though no games come with it). Would it be better just to pay the
$20-25 bucks and buy a copy of Mario Kart Double Dash or Katamari Damacy
and forget about the Xbox?

Thanks again, everyone.

"George Adams" <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote in message

> So what "party games" are out there that both gamers and non-gamers can
> pick up fairly quickly and enjoy playing with each other? The PS2 has
> Mario Kart. The Gamecube has Wario Ware. What about the XBox?

If you and your buds like military strategy games like Risk and Axis and
Allies, then Dai Senryaku is a must-have. It's only $20 new and you can
play up to 4 players in a turn-based battle. There are around 400 units
from 8 different countries ranging from infantry to artillery to subs to
supply to bombers. Deep gameplay and fun.

George Adams <g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote:
>So what "party games" are out there that both gamers and non-gamers can
>pick up fairly quickly and enjoy playing with each other? The PS2 has
>Mario Kart. The Gamecube has Wario Ware. What about the XBox?

Possibly Crazy Taxi 3. It's generally fun in groups even though
it's mostly one player.

--
"corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places
will follow, and the money power will endeavor to prolong its reign by working
and the Republic is destroyed." -- Abraham Lincoln, Nov 21, 1864

Go with Super Monkey Ball Deluxe (gamers and non gamers like this one)
and Crimson Skies. One more cheap, old thrill is Gauntlet
Legends...nothing but button mashing for 4 players. Fun!

Koenig

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2002

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 17:53:01 -0400, George Adams
<g_adams27@hotmail.SPAMBGONE.com> wrote:

>My buddies and I are going on vacation, and I plan on taking my XBox.
>The three of us consist of a serious gamer (me), a guy who plays
>occasionally, and a guy who doesn't game very much at all.
>
>Obviously some of the games I consider fun (e.g. Dead Or Alive 3) will
>be out of their league; I know the combos, but they've never played, and
>none of us will have any fun. Even stuff like cooperative Halo might be
>a little too much for them to pick up and become skilled in just a week.
>
>So what "party games" are out there that both gamers and non-gamers can
>pick up fairly quickly and enjoy playing with each other? The PS2 has
>Mario Kart. The Gamecube has Wario Ware. What about the XBox?
>
>Thanks to anyone who has suggestions!

Recently had a party where connected xboxes featured - first time I
had tried it and found the following games were very popular.

Note - some of them do not support linked xboxes, but play 2-4 plays
splitscreen.

Mechassault 2 - played via linked xboxes - four people on two boxes
going at it like gangbusters!

Mashed - car racing demolition derby for splitscreen play. A lot of
fun.

Simpsons Road Rage - simple, addictive fun for splitscreen play

Colin Macrae rally 4 - good cause nobody was particularly good at it.

--
Trev

"I can't believe you pissed on my taco"

VizPoets Filmmakers - http://www.vizpoets.com

George Adams wrote:

> So what "party games" are out there that both gamers and non-gamers can
> pick up fairly quickly and enjoy playing with each other? The PS2 has
> Mario Kart. The Gamecube has Wario Ware. What about the XBox?

TopSpin!
The learing curve is pretty small. It defines the "easy to play,
difficult to master" philosophy in my opinion and anyone can have loads
of fun, given the different skill levels of the opponents. If even you
have not played it, definitely give it a shot.

Links is good too. Since it is Golf game, you will have decent time in
between your shots to down a shot or two :) and you do not need too
much of hand-eye coordination. I have not played but I heard that
ourlaw golf is pretty fun too. That might be a better choice than
Links.

Paul

Splendid

> George Adams wrote:
>
>> So what "party games" are out there that both gamers and non-gamers can
>> pick up fairly quickly and enjoy playing with each other? The PS2 has
>> Mario Kart. The Gamecube has Wario Ware. What about the XBox?

Kung Fu Chaos, Mashed, Karaoke Revolution

"Paul" <luap.h@bt_removethis_internet.com> wrote in message
>> George Adams wrote:
>>
>>> So what "party games" are out there that both gamers and non-gamers can
>>> pick up fairly quickly and enjoy playing with each other? The PS2 has
>>> Mario Kart. The Gamecube has Wario Ware. What about the XBox?
>>

> Kung Fu Chaos, Mashed, Karaoke Revolution

I can see it now. Three guys, alone in a hotel room, all dancing together
on the bed.

=:cool: