Xbox,PS2, and PC

G

-Just my two cents on the PC vs. console debate-

Remember how good the N64 looked a few years ago? Remember how incredible the graphics were? The best PC at the time couldn't even come close. Between the N64 and The Playstation, all my friends had abandoned the PC. And yet here we all are today, playing games like Deus ex that simply cannot be played on the N64, and next to our P4's, Athlons, and Radeons, the N64's graphics are almost laughable. The Xbox will be the same in 4-5 years.
-pedro229

G

Your right about performance.
PC's smoke consoles.
PS's have pretty cool games.
The Xbox looks great, but tv's suck compared to hi res monitors.
How about MS using nVidia? Smart!
Console are reliable and stable though and multi players on one system is cool.
In 4-5 years Xbox4 should smoke any 4-5 year old PC.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a oc'n UT fool!

AMD OC'rs Kick Ass!! ;)

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Does anyone know if the X-box will support HDTVs? Could be a pretty good kick ass system if it does.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 02/13/01 02:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Then Microsoft will have a very high end game machine that will indeed be cool. What will be the going price on lauch? That is if anyone knows.

Gog

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I like owning both, I can sit down with a few mates around the tv and blat the living daylights out of each other on timesplitters on my PS2 (and contrary to popular belief the DVD playback isn't too shabby either). Plus there's masses of PS software available at throw away prices - that's one advantage of PS2 (will xbox be the first console to demonstrate a blue screen of death?)

Or I can get on line and rock with UT or Q3. Haven't tried Deus Ex yet but it should be arriving soon.

The technologies tend to leapfrog each other so just go with what suits your lifestyle.

Hmmmm... Donuts

G

A console's expected duration is about 4-5 years anyway. The actual active life-cycle of a console is about 3 years, by which point PC's should have more or less caught up. The advantage of a console is dedicated hardware which translates to less CPU and memory overhead. Comparing hardware never quite works. ;)

Charles

G

Competitive... at least that's my guess! ;) Seriously, I think about $200 (American) maybe up to $250. It seems like the most reasonable thing for them to do if they want to compete with the "cheap" GameCube (supposedly Nintendo is making their system really inexpensive, probably about $150 at launch).

Charles

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
the PC won't have to catch up to X-Box or PS2, it is already caught up. A 1GHz + processor with a GeForce2 is faster than an Xbox and has more capabilities. By the time xbox is released, a similiarily equipped PC that is capable of much more than just games (and with more HD space, RAM, etc...) should not be that much more. Plus, remember, a console is more than just its base price, if you really want to use it well, you need to buy mem cards, more controllers, etc and that adds up too.
I do not think Xbox will have a Blue screen of death problem; thats comes from windows. Xbox is running ultra scaled down version of windows on consitent hardware, so there shouldn't be too much room for it to freeze or what not.
But PCs rule, and always will. In 5 years, hardware will be so powerful and cheap though that I think PCs and consoles will become one in the same and there won't be PC/console wars anymore. Remember 5 years is a long time for technology, and the more we advance, the faster we advance. Look back 5 years ago and see how far we've come...

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
All that for $200!!! What will the games cost? The specs are impressive for a game console, look like PS/2 and Gamecube better go home. Microsoft is serious about winning the whole game console market. For $200, that is hard to believe. hehe I guess after Nitendo folds and Sony gets out of the game console market Microsoft will be charged with another monopoly :lol: . Being inovative has its costs, especially when you are too good.

G

The Sega Dreamcast was priced significantly below the PS2 and has ceased production. The X-box MAY be $200, that's just my personal guess. What will really determine it's success or failure will be the support from game developers. Without games, the console won't move.

Charles

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Any word on what games are going to be available. Looks like every PC game in the world could be adapted to this console box. Which would mean this new game console could have more games than any others console at launch. Will Win9x games play on it? Meaning I just grab the latest smashed PC game with the X-box compatible sticker on the side and play it both on my desktop and X-box. Or will Microsoft keep it separated from the regular PC market?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 02/14/01 03:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>