Question Xbox Series X Controller Won't Work With Steam Big Picture

vault2008

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2014
Hello folks,

Recently went through a lot of work running some cables through my house to get my PC hooked up to my TV in the living room and that all went fine - however I'm having a pretty big controller issue that I cannot seem to fix.

Info:

I'm using an Xbox Series X controller that came with the console, and recently purchased a bluetooth adapter for my PC.

The bluetooth adapter installed fine and detects the Xbox Series X controller without issue. The problem that's arising is on Steam, specifically Big Picture mode which is how I'd like to navigate with the controller given that I'm playing in the living room.

The issue seems to be Steam Big Picture mode specifically. If I launch a game like Resident Evil 2, the controller works fine via bluetooth in-game.

What I've Tried So Far:

Done quite a bit of exhaustive research on this issue. I followed a fix for this issue which suggested removing the controller from bluetooth, using the "Xbox Accessories" app on Windows and updating the firmware of the controller, then reconnecting it. I did that (and there was indeed a firmware update), but it yielded the same result.

I also followed the suggestions in a thread which were to force a windows update (which, again, there was) and also enable Steam Beta participation then select "Xbox Extended Feature Support" in the Steam Controller settings - again, did it, no change.

The controller works flawlessly when wired. But I bought this specifically for wireless play.

Other things I've tried:
-Updating the bluetooth adapter and controller via device manager (didn't work)
-Uninstalling & reinstalling the bluetooth adapter via device manager

I fear this is probably a very specific issue and I'm at a complete loss on how to proceed but if anyone has any suggestions shoot them my way please!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
With my own issues regarding Steam and an Xbox controller, turn the setting to "generic" instead of assigning it as its name type and see if that works for you.

I have one of the "newer" type and it doesn't work correctly in any way at all unless I use it as a generic AND plug it up with a physical cable. In Windows it will show and properly do all of the button assignments, start steam or Ubisoft Connect and it goes wonky no matter what I do aside from having it plugged in with a USB C type cable. The older controllers work fine on all my PC's.

Hello folks,

Recently went through a lot of work running some cables through my house to get my PC hooked up to my TV in the living room and that all went fine - however I'm having a pretty big controller issue that I cannot seem to fix.

Info:

I'm using an Xbox Series X controller that came with the console, and recently purchased a bluetooth adapter for my PC.

The bluetooth adapter installed fine and detects the Xbox Series X controller without issue. The problem that's arising is on Steam, specifically Big Picture mode which is how I'd like to navigate with the controller given that I'm playing in the living room.

The issue seems to be Steam Big Picture mode specifically. If I launch a game like Resident Evil 2, the controller works fine via bluetooth in-game.

What I've Tried So Far:

Done quite a bit of exhaustive research on this issue. I followed a fix for this issue which suggested removing the controller from bluetooth, using the "Xbox Accessories" app on Windows and updating the firmware of the controller, then reconnecting it. I did that (and there was indeed a firmware update), but it yielded the same result.

I also followed the suggestions in a thread which were to force a windows update (which, again, there was) and also enable Steam Beta participation then select "Xbox Extended Feature Support" in the Steam Controller settings - again, did it, no change.

The controller works flawlessly when wired. But I bought this specifically for wireless play.

Other things I've tried:
-Updating the bluetooth adapter and controller via device manager (didn't work)
-Uninstalling & reinstalling the bluetooth adapter via device manager

I fear this is probably a very specific issue and I'm at a complete loss on how to proceed but if anyone has any suggestions shoot them my way please!
Did you buy the official Microsoft wireless adapter?