News Xbox Series X Dev Kit Teardown Reveals 40GB GDDR6 RAM

Giroro

Splendid
So you can't use xbox Hardware offline if Microsoft decides to ban you from Xbox live? Microsoft can completely brick your hardware if they arbitrarily decide they don't like you, or what you're doing? Where's the outrage?

Its like I keep saying, the Right to Repair fight isn't going to mean much as we continue to lose the right to USE. Property rights need to be protected.

Pretty soon, we're going to have to be in good standing with a subscription service and their advertisers just to drive your car or to keep food cold in your fridge.

So you can't use xbox Hardware offline if Microsoft decides to ban you from Xbox live? Microsoft can completely brick your hardware if they arbitrarily decide they don't like you, or what you're doing? Where's the outrage?

Its like I keep saying, the Right to Repair fight isn't going to mean much as we continue to lose the right to USE. Property rights need to be protected.

Pretty soon, we're going to have to be in good standing with a subscription service and their advertisers just to drive your car or to keep food cold in your fridge.
That type of thinking will impact your social credit score.

This isn't consumer hardware, it's a development tool. Devkits are typically considered the property of the console manufacturer, in this case Microsoft, and are loaned to developers, who agree to use them under certain restrictions. Whoever they bought it from likely didn't have the right to sell it to begin with, and it was apparently disabled prior to Gamers Nexus acquiring it. They never had a license with Microsoft to make use of the device or its proprietary software, and any such agreement would have undoubtedly restricted them from disclosing details of the system to others anyway.

May 9, 2022
So you can't use xbox Hardware offline if Microsoft decides to ban you from Xbox live? Microsoft can completely brick your hardware if they arbitrarily decide they don't like you, or what you're doing?

It's an XDK owned by Microsoft, loaned under NDA to developers for software development. They consider their development tools protected IP, which is understandable, and has nothing to do with "banning you from Xbox live." Yes: Microsoft currently blocks consoles from using their online service if it detects you have modified it, specifically to avoid fraud, piracy, cheating, etc. But many people use modded consoles offline.

Oh, I see - you just needed your pet rant to get out for a walk. Be sure to pick up after it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Most likely XboxX2 will have that amount of memory and Zen6 or Zen7 APU.

Maybe not the memory amount, but if TSMC keeps moving the goal post as quickly as they are; we are going to be seeing a lot of revisions. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cost optimized Zen3, then a Zen3+, and then a Zen4 over the next few years. They really have no significant reason to hold themselves back from upgrading rapidly. People are going to start getting them 8K TVs, donchaknow.

Maybe not the memory amount, but if TSMC keeps moving the goal post as quickly as they are; we are going to be seeing a lot of revisions. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cost optimized Zen3, then a Zen3+, and then a Zen4 over the next few years. They really have no significant reason to hold themselves back from upgrading rapidly. People are going to start getting them 8K TVs, donchaknow.
The limited production capacity of leading-edge nodes could be considered a limitation. Since launch, AMD has struggled to secure enough 7nm production capacity from TSMC to adequately support their CPU and GPU production, in addition to the tens of millions of large combined processors going into Microsoft and Sony's consoles. So I could certainly see them hold off on moving production to a smaller node alongside AMD's next generation of PC hardware.

And sure, the console chips are already on 7nm while using Zen 2, and they could likely move them to Zen 3, but it probably wouldn't be all that beneficial. Developers will still be designing their games for the launch consoles, and any performance benefits of swapping CPU architectures would be relatively minor, at least not enough to be marketable without a sizable improvement to the graphics side of things to go with it. And I can't see that happening without moving production to a smaller process node. The CPUs they have are already far faster than what's in prior generation consoles, and are likely still underutilized considering most games are still being designed to run on those older systems. It's also unclear whether the newer architectures would be all that beneficial to performance of the consoles, since they are already using fast GDDR6 as their system RAM, potentially minimizing the improvements to things like cache.

And of course, offering too many variants of the consoles might get confusing to end-users. I would expect the console manufacturers to do something similar to the last generation, launching a "Pro" or "X" variant several years after the launch models, alongside a "Slim" version with comparable specs to the originals. Microsoft might even be able to trade the One S for Nintendo Switch-style portable design at that point.

Reactions: renz496

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My suggestion was more that they would do a process node shrink because they are forced to by TSMC, not necessarily that they would do it for performance. Though you can bet they will market that.

They can also bump up the GDDR6 speed.

X Box Series X Elite already has a 2023 release date and claims of 6nm. I'm sure Sony will follow.

this is dev kit not a consumer unit. developer most often have to sign certain NDA in regards of those unit. i remember some of developer that have their hands on Wii U dev unit are being barred from discussing the tech inside the console in the public. not even it's base performance metric.

TRENDING THREADS