[SOLVED] Xbox Series X or RTX 3070 w/ Ryzen 5 5600X

Oct 24, 2020
Hi!
How much better is the RTX 3070 w/ Ryzen 5 5600X and 16GB of 3600 ram compared to the new Xbox Series x?

Solution
As @rgd1101 says, PCs aren't limited to gaming alone. With PCs, your initial buy-in will be steeper but from then on you can upgrade components to keep current, enhance your games with mods, and improve the visuals with in-game (and out of game) settings that go well beyond what consoles can do. Mods are starting to become more and more accessible from consoles but they will ALWAYS be lacking compared to mods on PC. I have been a PC gamer, exclusively, for the last 20 years, so I will always say PC.

Just to give you an example of the PC's flexibility, I am currently using a modded, heavily overclocked Vega 64 GPU. This GPU is over 3 years old yet it, at least on paper, can be considered more powerful (raw TFLOPS) than the GPUs in...
As @rgd1101 says, PCs aren't limited to gaming alone. With PCs, your initial buy-in will be steeper but from then on you can upgrade components to keep current, enhance your games with mods, and improve the visuals with in-game (and out of game) settings that go well beyond what consoles can do. Mods are starting to become more and more accessible from consoles but they will ALWAYS be lacking compared to mods on PC. I have been a PC gamer, exclusively, for the last 20 years, so I will always say PC.

Just to give you an example of the PC's flexibility, I am currently using a modded, heavily overclocked Vega 64 GPU. This GPU is over 3 years old yet it, at least on paper, can be considered more powerful (raw TFLOPS) than the GPUs in the new Xbox Series X and PS5. TFLOPS only tell part of the story, of course. Consoles have tons of extra optimizations, at the PCB level, that just can't be done on PCs.

Are you looking for the simplicity of not having to deal with an operating system (windows updates, drivers, etc.)? What do you currently play games on?

To answer your question, an RTX 3070 and Ryzen 5 5600 will be substantially more powerful.

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 26, 2020
Massively better than the new consoles. Any console can be compared to most low of low budget PCs games except games are better optimized for them and the convenience of free game programs, online, an easy ui can seal the deal in some cases.

Oct 24, 2020
Thanks for the responses!
To answer rgd1101, I will be using a Samsung 970 EVO 2m, 1TB, and a 2TB HDD.
And for alcetyes, I do not mind dealing with the operating system. Right now I game on ASUS - ROG GU501GM laptop as well as do my programming work for school.
What do you mean by modding? I'm not sure I have ever modded.

What do you mean by modding? I'm not sure I have ever modded.

Some games allow for user-created content and changes to the game. These are called mods (short of modifications). The ability to mod a game is usually built in by the game designers. Many games don't allow any type of modding while others give you the tools to practically create whole new games within the original game world.

Examples of mod-friendly games are Skyrim and The Witcher 3.

Latest posts