Xbox series X/S wireless controller, PC users beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I purchased a new Xbox controller the other day. I was searching around for the "original/One" series of wireless controller, but it was apparently phased out back in 2019-2020 ish. The new controller is supposed to be the compatible replacement. It feels very much like the original just slightly smaller and has a more textured feel to the controller body and bumpers/trigger. There is an improved Bluetooth inside which helps it pair significantly quicker than the older model. It also has USB C for connection/charging, which is nice.

I have run into an issue, specifically with Ubisoft games where the controller mapping is messed up. It is a common issue and there are plenty of posts describing the exact issue that I (and apparently everyone else) is having. Been ongoing since at least early 2020 and no fix has come down or apparently planned for said.
The most issue is with Ubisoft games, but also having some issue with a couple of Steam/Origin titles as well. In particular the controller will not act right, buttons all wrong, some of them not functional at all, while in use wirelessly. The moment the controller is hooked up to a USB cable it works properly with most games.

Battlefield series is wonky, have to keep a keyboard nearby while in any of the menus. Otherwise the game seems to map and act correctly during play.
Div 1/2 (actually ALL of the Tom Clancy titles), The Crew 2, Assassin's Creed, Rayman Legends, Steep, Watchdogs, Child of Light...every one of the games within that loader do not work.
I cannot load into Origin games at all while trying to use the controller wirelessly. If it's through Steam it has about a 50/50 chance of hanging on load. Through the native player it hangs and then pops back to desktop without error message.

Epic games including WWZ and Hitman are both seemingly working correctly.

There are pages and pages of these same issues being recounted by multitudes of purchasers of this series of controller. I can "forget" and relearn the old controller and each of the games and the controls work as expected. I have gone in and downloaded the Xbox accy app and updated the controller but it had no effect in relation to the issues.

Really a shame. I can use the controller with a cable attached and given the hassle to return I might just weather it to see if an upcoming driver update or loader update (specifically with Ubisoft) resolve the issue. Based on the roughly year and a half or more that this issue has been ongoing it doesn't seem that the game company or controller manufacturer have any interest at this point.

I would have to say locate an older joypad, different brand, save money and get the wired model up front but DON'T buy the Xbox series X/S wireless for use with a PC at this time.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
That adapter is commonly suggested as the fix to the issue. I just hate to use another dongle on a system that is otherwise capable of connection without it. Lol, I suppose that if I want it to work correctly I need to shell out the other $15.

Actually I just thought. I’m using an Elite II a lot of the time, not always. When I have used the controller from the Series X it’s been on fewer games so maybe I wouldn’t have come across it. However I wonder if the wireless adapter does fix it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
There is even a game (Jedi Fallen Order) that literally runs WAY worse if you use this controller. Documented issue. The fix is to use it wired.

Yes, that exact same vein with the Ubisoft Connect titles. Every single one of them turns out to be mapped incorrectly even though it shows and tests properly within Windows. A lot of users are placing the blame on Ubisoft for it. To me it's a bit perplexing since it's "just" a controller.
Funny enough I have also found that if you change your Steam loader preference to "Xbox controller" it will act wonky there as well. Simply changing it back to generic fixes those issues though.

I have not had any problems but I don’t use Bluetooth (high latency), I use the Microsoft Wireless Adapter which then uses the faster proprietary wireless connection.
I've had the opposite problem with my Xbox One controller. I've used the first and second versions of the adapter and with different controllers. And it works fine... for like a week and then the controller stops connecting to the dongle.

Using Bluetooth has been pain free and I don't even notice any lag on the inputs.

I've had the opposite problem with my Xbox One controller. I've used the first and second versions of the adapter and with different controllers. And it works fine... for like a week and then the controller stops connecting to the dongle.

Using Bluetooth has been pain free and I don't even notice any lag on the inputs.
I had a problem a few years ago which required the uninstalling and reinstalling the driver but I have not encountered it again.

waytoosexy

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
Well damn, I guess you know why I'm here. The fact that it's been over a year and this is THE Xbox controller (I mean this is the controller that is meant to be used with Windows!) makes me think it will never be fixed. Oh well, why even bother when you can sell a dongle for additional 30$...

There is a steam fix to choose the "Forced on" option but it doesn't work for me, I wonder if that is because my games are not Steam-based.

And to think that I chose it over the DS4 (which was 20$ cheaper) cause I thought the Xbox controller would have better compatibility with Windows. Death to Microsoft.

waytoosexy

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
Yes, that exact same vein with the Ubisoft Connect titles. Every single one of them turns out to be mapped incorrectly even though it shows and tests properly within Windows. A lot of users are placing the blame on Ubisoft for it. To me it's a bit perplexing since it's "just" a controller.
Funny enough I have also found that if you change your Steam loader preference to "Xbox controller" it will act wonky there as well. Simply changing it back to generic fixes those issues though.
Hi OP. Were you able to fix the problem by switching to generic? How exactly did you do it. I messed with settings in the big picture last night and I believe it didn't cut it for me. Are your games Steam-based or added as non-Steam games? Any other working fixes you were able to find. I am already prepared to order the 2.4G adapter across the globe from the US, but I'm just extremely pissed I'm ending up paying 130-140 bucks for an inferior controller (could have got the DS5 for 70$)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hi OP. Were you able to fix the problem by switching to generic? How exactly did you do it. I messed with settings in the big picture last night and I believe it didn't cut it for me. Are your games Steam-based or added as non-Steam games? Any other working fixes you were able to find. I am already prepared to order the 2.4G adapter across the globe from the US, but I'm just extremely pissed I'm ending up paying 130-140 bucks for an inferior controller (could have got the DS5 for 70$)

The solution for me was hooking it up USB. Works fine.
Apparently, the wireless "fix" is to purchase an additional $25+ dongle to go with it such that it will pair and work right. Money grubbin' at it's best. Take something that worked fine and break it so you spend more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS