News Xbox Series X Supply Shortage to Last Well Into 2021

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Darn! I guess I'll just have to play the games on my vastly superior PC.

If your PC is superior (let alone vastly superior), and your listed specs must be out of date as they infer it isn’t, then I can guarantee it cost 2-3 times more than my Series X ;)
You are of course free to chose the platform you prefer and that is fair and correct, but the PC ‘master race’ is no more and has gone the same way as the last one did.

If your PC is superior (let alone vastly superior), and your listed specs must be out of date as they infer it isn’t, then I can guarantee it cost 2-3 times more than my Series X ;)
You are of course free to chose the platform you prefer and that is fair and correct, but the PC ‘master race’ is no more and has gone the same way as the last one did.

Yes, but I already have my PC. And if you don't think my "outdated" PC is is not more powerful than your console, you are either naive or ignorant.

And I did not mention anything in regards to value or cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: gg83

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Yes, but I already have my PC. And if you don't think my "outdated" PC is is not more powerful than your console, you are either naive or ignorant.

And I did not mention anything in regards to value or cost.

With the exception of generation specific games, which granted the new XBoxes are woefully short of, you are more than welcome to identify which of your PC components beat the Series X equivalent with specs for each to prove it.
Your comment about already having the PC is correct, and I have advocated for each gamer to stick to their existing platform due to the social bonds they have forged there.
You are right that you didn’t say anything about value or cost but your entire first post implied nothing but. It was this pseudo-troll-ness to which I replied ;)

(Edit: for the record I also have a gaming PC, which isn’t even close to your specs and I didn’t wish to imply yours was outdated at all, just that if your sig specs were current that they weren’t going to run COD:CW at 120fps 4K RT etc like XSX does)

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
With the exception of generation specific games, which granted the new XBoxes are woefully short of, you are more than welcome to identify which of your PC components beat the Series X equivalent with specs for each to prove it.
XBSX has 8 Zen 2 cores running at up to 3.8 GHz. They have an R9 3900X which is 12 Zen 2 cores running at up to 4.6 GHz. Pretty obvious winner there. GPU performance is a little trickier, given that we don't have independent results for RDNA2 yet, and it's hard to say how the consoles' power/thermal envelopes might effect performance relative to desktop. Based on AMD's results for the RX 6800, it's a bit better than a 2080 Ti. Based on specs, the 6800 is ~15% better than the XBSX GPU. So on paper we could say the 2080 Ti and XBSX GPU are roughly equivalent (if we could do a real world apples to apples comparison, I'd expect the 2080 Ti to win). Their PC has 11GB of VRAM and 16 GB of system RAM, XBSX has 16GB of RAM in total that must be split between CPU and GPU.

just that if your sig specs were current that they weren’t going to run COD:CW at 120fps 4K RT etc like XSX does)
The XBSX can run CoD:CW at 120 fps, or 4K, or with RT. Not all at the same time. And both 120 fps and RT also involve using dynamic resolution/upsampling techniques to get better performance by rendering at a lower resolution. If we allow for upsampling, then a 2080 Ti is indeed capable of running CoD:CW at 4K and RT at 60+ fps (using DLSS). Or 120+ FPS at native 1080p with RT off.

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
XBSX has 8 Zen 2 cores running at up to 3.8 GHz. They have an R9 3900X which is 12 Zen 2 cores running at up to 4.6 GHz. Pretty obvious winner there. GPU performance is a little trickier, given that we don't have independent results for RDNA2 yet, and it's hard to say how the consoles' power/thermal envelopes might effect performance relative to desktop. Based on AMD's results for the RX 6800, it's a bit better than a 2080 Ti. Based on specs, the 6800 is ~15% better than the XBSX GPU. So on paper we could say the 2080 Ti and XBSX GPU are roughly equivalent (if we could do a real world apples to apples comparison, I'd expect the 2080 Ti to win). Their PC has 11GB of VRAM and 16 GB of system RAM, XBSX has 16GB of RAM in total that must be split between CPU and GPU.

The XBSX can run CoD:CW at 120 fps, or 4K, or with RT. Not all at the same time. And both 120 fps and RT also involve using dynamic resolution/upsampling techniques to get better performance by rendering at a lower resolution. If we allow for upsampling, then a 2080 Ti is indeed capable of running CoD:CW at 4K and RT at 60+ fps (using DLSS). Or 120+ FPS at native 1080p with RT off.

Thank you, a well-considered, informative, and unbiased response.
I would tend to agree with your reply and agree that the poster's spec will certainly offer advantages for things like AutoCAD, spreadsheets, video transcoding (as examples) due to its raw CPU advantage.
That said, the article is a gaming console article and so the reply (to be relevant would be as well), and your reply I see as the comparison of posters spec vs XSX would be so close as to make it a wash.
As I said initially, his PC would not be vastly superior and additionally (even with depreciation to today's prices) cost considerably more than said XSX.

Reactions: gg83
Your comment about already having the PC is correct, and I have advocated for each gamer to stick to their existing platform due to the social bonds they have forged there.
You are right that you didn’t say anything about value or cost but your entire first post implied nothing but. It was this pseudo-troll-ness to which I replied ;)

(Edit: for the record I also have a gaming PC, which isn’t even close to your specs and I didn’t wish to imply yours was outdated at all, just that if your sig specs were current that they weren’t going to run COD:CW at 120fps 4K RT etc like XSX does)
So you are 100% certain that it's actually 4k/120fps and not 1440 or 1080p @ 120fps like every game so far?

Edit: I see it's already been answered above.

Last edited:

My first post could've also been taken as means to boost my ego and back my reasoning to have invested so much money into a PC.

PC is still on top with PS5 coming in at 2nd place. 3rd is the switch.
Xbox is last because everything playable on it is playable on PC. PS5 has actual exclusives, as does the switch.
So.
PC is still the master race as far as I'm concerned.

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
PC is still on top with PS5 coming in at 2nd place. 3rd is the switch.
Xbox is last because everything playable on it is playable on PC. PS5 has actual exclusives, as does the switch.
So.
PC is still the master race as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck to you, said term ended so well for the last group t use it lol

Good luck to you, said term ended so well for the last group t use it lol
As an xbox series x is a solid product, there is no avenue for upgrades except storage.
Plus you can do a lot more on a PC than just xbox stuff.
Not sure why you get to use the term 'master race' when talking about tech but when I do it, you compare it to the- Well, you get the idea. I hope.
And why the good luck? I'm just looking at these things objectively.

TRENDING THREADS