'XCOM 2' PC Specs Revealed, Pre-Orders Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

wexton

Reputable
Jun 2, 2015
45gigs isn't bad, so many games for many years have had install files that big or way bigger.

What I am impressed with thou, is how low end of graphics you can actually play with.

bimbam360

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
The vast file sizes of modern game downloads (usually audio related of all things) is in my mind a DRM tactic. I'm sure many pirates would be put off downloading a 40GB+ file without any guarantees it will work, instead going to their digital store of choice (steam).

The problem is this (like ALL DRM) hurts the legitimate consumer more than the pirate, because after about a fortnight the pirates have released a 'repack' version that's a quarter of the size -.-

It has to be uncompressed audio combined with multiple languages, because the game isn't going to look that good, and it's not a ton of highly detailed cities like an assassin's creed game would have.

It is really f-ing annoying that the games are taking up such huge amounts of my HDD space.

And file size doesn't deter most pirates, they've been having to either download big files, or "big" files slowly before ever seeing if they work, and they haven't lost anything really because they don't sit there and watch it download.

Sowel Hung

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Well the install for titanfall was justified beausese of it's lengthy cinematics, it's long single player game, and it's rich fully fleshed out story.

Incorrect. The devs themselves said 35+ GB was used on the PC for nothing more than uncompressed audio files. Titanfall on Xbox was only 17 GB. Their excuse was that they felt the older dual-core CPUs wouldn't have enough horsepower to uncompress audio on the fly. Thus even if you had an i5 or i7, you were still forced into having the uncompressed audio on your drive. I believe that also included all the language packs, meaning you couldn't even save space by only installing the one language you wanted.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/respawn-titanfall-pc-gaming-install-electronic-arts,26275.html

*woosh*

Sep 30, 2013
Not that I really want to exterminate the Swedes more than they are but we don't have such crap here so.. yeah.. You're in the US? Americans would raise the average in Sweden.

Did you play Titanfall? I did, and Sowel Hung got you good.

No, I didn't. If I fell victim to some virtual snark, eh, whoops. I've been troll bashing and FUD hunting a fair amount the last few days. The snark detector battery was probably dead.

Titanfall has no single player, its story is pretty much shit, and there are only a handful of cinematic which all last a few seconds at most. All that and I still consider it one of my favorite games of the genre. The multiplayer content (IE the only content) is pretty good.

Yeah I've noticed how busy you've been. I was going to comment more on the Windows phone article, but things just got ridiculous.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I can't wait for this game. I am an XCOM fan since xcom 1 ofc!

Now, about piracy and game size, the good thing is that companies will sell a good quantity of the game before the pirates repack resize or what is called the game to upload it somewhere. I think, if this really is a DRM thing, that is cheaper and slower to "bypass" than a key or a drm of programming way.

However yes, this hurts the consumer, if you want to load that huge game you will want a bigger hard disk, i mean some 10games of our era might be near 500gb right? So what is the use of SSD if it won't keep at least your 10 most played in? It does hurt the consumer 2times over. One for the size of the download of the digital version and second that he will have to go buy a 1tb SSD to enjoy his latest games load fast .
Even games like world of warships load 1 minute faster in an SSD compared to hard disk and there are videos about Fallout4 for example and the difference in loading from SSD to HDD.

So yes, they will force us to buy bigger SSDs soon with this tactic, what is annoying though is that the excuse "we sell the game at 60 because there is DRM involved" is a fake. With all the preorders and delay of broken/cracked releases they should have lowered the game prices already in PCs...What do you think?

Seriously? When you consider that 2TB drives are common and affordable and 48GB is just 2.5% of that? To keep things in perspective for you, back in 2005 the typical hard drive was 120GB and a game like Half Life 2 was maybe 1GB (8% of a 120GB drive). High def-textures, Dolby 5.1 audio, and big maps create big files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS