XCOM Shooter Might Not Be XCOM Anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Who the hell came up with that idea in the first place? An XCOM shooter, really?[/citation]

Because surely someone can create a game that is just as successful as Call of Duty...

After all, the gaming industry only burned through at least several FPS titles, such as Medal of Honor, and many other countless unmemorable games.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]What did happen in 62?[/citation]

The premise for a more-than-likely shitty game to be released or cancelled sometime in the relatively near future..... I guess.

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Love how they're trying to cover it up after the fan-based rage. I agree with the fans and I'm disappointed in businesses letting them get away with this. If this crap continues, people will exploit the crowd. Good example of this was Aliens: Colonial Marines. In E3, the demo was awesome, looked great but when the final product was given, ti was pure sht. I didnt have to buy it, I just saw friends play and said f---- that. Take responsibilities for the decisions you make, especially with a product or franchise that was a success.

Duke Nukem Forever, Aliens: Colonial Marines and that horrendous Super Mario Bros. movie were examples of how people were hyped up to get sh$#* handed to them.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Just like the new XCom "Strategy" isn't much Strategy? The new one is strategy wise so dumbed down the XCom Ufo Defense coders in 1994 did a better job, heck the 1994 version also featured random maps and that ended up in pretty much unlimited re-playability!

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
I miss the strategy games...Dont even mention SC2....if you call less than 2 minute zerg rushes or void rushes, you can have it. Where's the Red Alert's, Warcraft 2s, Dunes, Dark Colony, Earth 2140, KKNDs, Dominion (game was weird but the soundtrack was sick), the Sudden Strikes, the Dark Reign (First game, 2nd was sht), even Ground Control was sweet for its time, even though it wasn't as successful as it should have been.

w0_od

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
on 1 hand i am glad that someone in 2k has realized that they have a dogs breakfast and they are trying hard to regugitate it back into something remotely palatable without harming their XCOM brand. On the other, i seriously wonder which retard decided they can reimagine the wheel and make just another 1st person shooter like the dozens and dozens out there. I mean SYndicate FPS was a good example. On its own it was only an average game at best , stacked against the classic , it looks like a dogs breakfast.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Just like the new XCom "Strategy" isn't much Strategy? The new one is strategy wise so dumbed down the XCom Ufo Defense coders in 1994 did a better job, heck the 1994 version also featured random maps and that ended up in pretty much unlimited re-playability![/citation]

I totally agree. X-Com: Enemy Unknown was a good game that introduced a lot of nice modern features, but it was still far behind UFO Defense in a lot of very key ways. I could have played UFO Defense a thousand times, and I did! I can't say the same about the new one. Although I did thoroughly enjoy it, after the first run I had seen pretty much all that needed to be seen. Hopefully the next one will introduce some randomization and procedural generation, which is what the game really needed. At least it was better than this FPS BS.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
I have advocated this all along, be it a game, a band, or a movie: Respect the original, change the name! Unless it is a true update (not "reboot" or "reimagining") simple change the name let it stand on it own.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Speaking as a guy who bought Xcom when it was released (the original), I never minded the rumors of an FPS... which have been going on a long time (as far back as the 90s....). I Figure as long as it is "Xcom" inspired that it is no big deal. Some people get all nerd rage over it though.

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Syndicate and X-Com were very innovative for it's time....is it really that fkn hard to just update the graphics, make the characters detailed and fix the previous bugs before?

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]growup[/nom]Syndicate and X-Com were very innovative for it's time....is it really that fkn hard to just update the graphics, make the characters detailed and fix the previous bugs before?[/citation]

Apparently so, because no one seems to be able to do it right. I would be all over a new syndicate that had just improved cameras and graphics. Syndicate a la deus ex, no so much.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Ironically, with the news that they've renamed it, I kind of want to play it LOL.

2K has been pumping out good games for a while now. They seem to have a little more love than the pencil pushers at EA manage to output. One of the last good game companies in my opinion.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Who the hell came up with that idea in the first place? An XCOM shooter, really?[/citation]

honestly, having an xcom shooter wouldn't be a bad idea.
hear me out

what they did wrong was not tell us about the strategy version, and made us think "yea, you know xcom right, you love it, and its one of the more highly regarded strategy games... well you will love this ITS NOW AN FPS"

if they came out and told you up front look we have a strategy game for you, and we also have an fps in the same universe, would it have been a bad thing? because everything i saw of the xcom fps, while it wasnt stratagy, looked a hell of a lot more fun than most of what i see in shooters today.

hell if they took a you can not win approach to certain objectives, and no matter what, the character you were playing as would die, and not game over you, i think it could have been a pretty fun game.

tim1935

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually reimagining the original might not be so bad. Like if you still had the Geoscape and managed multiple bases, but then when you had UFO battles and soldiers battles it would switch to a 1st person perspective even running around in your own bases battling invasions. But keep the researching of new weapons and facilities to keep you wanting for more.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

Did you know Microprose was originally doing a FPS XCom called XCom Alliance? This game would have been the 8th game following the 7th one. However both were cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.