Question Xeon 1230 with locked clock

Oct 17, 2022
I have a Xeon 1230v2 and apparently it is stuck.

The clock doesn't go above 1596 and the multipier doesn't seem to work.

I've tried a few things like updating bios, updating drivers and nothing has any effect.

Motherboard is an Intel DH61.

I installed the ThrottleStop software and disabled the BD PROCHOT item. Processing is unblocked, however, when the computer restarts, the block returns.

cpuz.jpg

kanewolf

Titan
I have a Xeon 1230v2 and apparently it is stuck.

The clock doesn't go above 1596 and the multipier doesn't seem to work.

I've tried a few things like updating bios, updating drivers and nothing has any effect.

Motherboard is an Intel DH61.

I installed the ThrottleStop software and disabled the BD PROCHOT item. Processing is unblocked, however, when the computer restarts, the block returns.

cpuz.jpg
This page -- https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel/DH61WW.html
Shows BIOS 42 required. Do you have that or later ?

@abm82

If using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT solves the problem, it is likely a sensor on your board that has shorted out. This is a very common problem in many laptops but it can happen to desktop boards too. You will need to add ThrottleStop to your Windows startup sequence using the Task Scheduler. Leave ThrottleStop running and it will take care of this problem for you.

Oct 17, 2022
@abm82

If using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT solves the problem, it is likely a sensor on your board that has shorted out. This is a very common problem in many laptops but it can happen to desktop boards too. You will need to add ThrottleStop to your Windows startup sequence using the Task Scheduler. Leave ThrottleStop running and it will take care of this problem for you.

the only solution would be to replace the motherboard?

the only solution would be to replace the motherboard?
Yes.

Manufacturers do not publicly document what sensors can feed throttling signals to the CPU via the BD PROCHOT signal path. Even if this was documented, there is still no easy way to replace a defective sensor. Either toss the board in the garbage or use ThrottleStop and keep BD PROCHOT disabled to avoid throttling.

Oct 17, 2022
Yes.

Manufacturers do not publicly document what sensors can feed throttling signals to the CPU via the BD PROCHOT signal path. Even if this was documented, there is still no easy way to replace a defective sensor. Either toss the board in the garbage or use ThrottleStop and keep BD PROCHOT disabled to avoid throttling.

I have an unused i3 2100 processor. Do you think it's worth testing it on this board and see if there is a problem?

Oct 17, 2022
Yes.

Do you think that a bad cooler could does this? I am thinking about to replace de cooler box

Oct 17, 2022
I thought you already tried that processor and had the same problem.

BD PROCHOT is not heat related. It is usually a defective motherboard sensor issue. Changing the cooler or the CPU will not likely make any difference.

What about cmos battery? I have been using a 2016 model instead of 2032 model.

Oct 17, 2022
I thought you already tried that processor and had the same problem.

BD PROCHOT is not heat related. It is usually a defective motherboard sensor issue. Changing the cooler or the CPU will not likely make any difference.

I have just tested my i3 2100 processor on the main board and it is locked at 1596 as well.

i3.png

Oct 17, 2022
Does ThrottleStop Limit Reasons report BD PROCHOT throttling for this CPU too?

Why post CPU-Z screenshots? It cannot report a BD PROCHOT throttling problem.

I posted just to show that both are clocked at 1596.

The limit option is not available on any processor. Only the BD Prochot box can be unchecked

Oct 17, 2022
The older Ivy Bridge processors do not report Limit Reasons data. That is why that button in ThrottleStop is grayed out.

Intel"s 4th Gen and newer CPUs report this info. This makes troubleshooting easier.

I'm thinking of disassemble the computer apart and cleaning all the boards and contacts with a contact cleaner. would be the last try