Question Xeon E3-1225 with Rx 580 8GB a good pair for gaming?

NineOfNines

Prominent
Apr 21, 2019
I recently got this pc, it's a Dell Precision T1600.
I want to get into gaming, the powersupply upgrade should be easy, but I'm concerned about the cpu bottlenecking the gpu.

GPU = Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8GB
CPU = Xeon E3-1225
---
If the cpu is a bottleneck, what kind of cpu would work with my current motherboard, my cpu lga is 1151.
If there's any cpu I can upgrade to without switching out my motherboard, please tell me, I'm on a low budget :(.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can use any skylake/kabylake cpu. That's 6th or 7th gen, not 8th.
You have a 4c/4t Xeon that's roughly the same as a i5 6500. It's not bad, it'll get you busy on most games, but you'll get stumped on high intensity games that are optimized for 8threads.

Even moving upto a i7, you'll not see much difference in quite a few games, they'll basically rely on 4 threads or less, it's only the bigger AAA titles like Battlefield or Witcher 3 or anything like heavily modded skyrim or fallout where the extra threads will make a sizable difference.

Your fps will be fine, the cpu is decent, the addition of the Rx580 will just allow you to play at highest settings without infringing on cpu fps output.

You worry over nothing if worrying about a bottleneck, the cpu can't bottleneck the gpu, the cpu puts out whatever it can. It's just in some situations you won't be using the full potential of the gpu.

NineOfNines

Prominent
Apr 21, 2019
You can use any skylake/kabylake cpu. That's 6th or 7th gen, not 8th.
You have a 4c/4t Xeon that's roughly the same as a i5 6500. It's not bad, it'll get you busy on most games, but you'll get stumped on high intensity games that are optimized for 8threads.

Even moving upto a i7, you'll not see much difference in quite a few games, they'll basically rely on 4 threads or less, it's only the bigger AAA titles like Battlefield or Witcher 3 or anything like heavily modded skyrim or fallout where the extra threads will make a sizable difference.

Your fps will be fine, the cpu is decent, the addition of the Rx580 will just allow you to play at highest settings without infringing on cpu fps output.

You worry over nothing if worrying about a bottleneck, the cpu can't bottleneck the gpu, the cpu puts out whatever it can. It's just in some situations you won't be using the full potential of the gpu.
Sheesh, you've got quite the knowledge of tech there, thanks dude. I'm only 12, so it means a lot, since no one in my family knows much about this sorta stuff.

TRENDING THREADS