[SOLVED] Xeon E3-1290 v2 Questions

Oct 18, 2020
Hey. So long story short, I got my hands on an Xeon E3-1290 v2 recently, I'm currently running an i7-3770(non K) w/ 16GB of RAM on an MSI H61M-P32.

Doing some research, it looks like they use the same slot(LGA 1155) so the Xeon should be supported.

I had a couple questions since info on the 1290 V2 seems to be scarce online.
  1. Would the Xeon work with non-ECC memory? That's what I have installed.
  2. Would it be good for gaming? That's my primary use case. It looks like the Xeon has the same cores+threads just at higher clock(3.7 Ghz to 4.1 Ghz for the Xeon vs 3.5Ghz to 3.9Ghz for the Xeon).
  3. Is there anything I should look out for? I have no experience with server CPUs.

Solution
Hey. So long story short, I got my hands on an Xeon E3-1290 v2 recently, I'm currently running an i7-3770(non K) w/ 16GB of RAM on an MSI H61M-P32.

Doing some research, it looks like they use the same slot(LGA 1155) so the Xeon should be supported.

2. Would it be good for gaming? That's my primary use case. It looks like the Xeon has the same cores+threads just at higher clock(3.7 Ghz to 4.1 Ghz for the Xeon vs 3.5Ghz to 3.9Ghz for the Xeon).
  3. Is there anything I should look out for? I have no experience with server CPUs.
  1. Yes, the Xeon will work with non-ECC...

COLGeek

Cybernaut

1. Yes, the Xeon will work with non-ECC memory.
  2. Yes, the Xeon will game well. Very much like a similar i7.
  3. Not all motherboards are compatible with Xeon CPUs, in spite of using a Socket 1155.
From this link, the Xeon should be okay in your motherboard.

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/H61M-P32_W8.html#cs

Solution
Oct 18, 2020
  1. Yes, the Xeon will work with non-ECC memory.
  2. Yes, the Xeon will game well. Very much like a similar i7.
  3. Not all motherboards are compatible with Xeon CPUs, in spite of using a Socket 1155.
From this link, the Xeon should be okay in your motherboard.

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/H61M-P32_W8.html#cs
Oh I didn't know about that website. Thanks for the info!

Let me add another one then. Does it make sense to use the Xeon over the 3770? My mobo doesn't allow overclocking so I didn't bother with a K, and the Xeon would be running stock obviously. The clock speed is higher than the 3770(non K) but I can't find much info about whether it's better or not.

Does it make more sense to just pop it in and try it out? Is there anything specific I should check to see if the performance is actually better.

The main reason I'm asking is, looking online the 1290 v2 still sells for around $130 or higher. So if the "upgrade" vs the 3770 is minimal, I might just sell the Xeon.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020
Oh I didn't spend any money on it. I was helping a friend clear his office, and there was a "busted pc" they had sitting around that they let me have. I took it home and tore it open and it had the Xeon E3 1290 v2.

So I just have it already. I haven't put it in or anything because I wanted to confirm it would even work before opening up my rig.

Edit: I have a dedicated GPU. I'm running a 1050 TI rn, but was thinking about upgrading that as well. By actually spending money though lol.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Oh I didn't spend any money on it. I was helping a friend clear his office, and there was a "busted pc" they had sitting around that they let me have. I took it home and tore it open and it had the Xeon E3 1290 v2.

So I just have it already. I haven't put it in or anything because I wanted to confirm it would even work before opening up my rig.

Edit: I have a dedicated GPU. I'm running a 1050 TI rn, but was thinking about upgrading that as well. By actually spending money though lol.
Understood. Note the comparison links I place above.

Oct 18, 2020
Understood. Note the comparison links I place above.
Yeah I'm reading through them now. If it's safe to run it I might pop it in and see how performance differs.

Last question, what benchmarks should I be running to compare them? I've never really benchmarked before because I've never had two processors to compare.