Xeon e3 vs i5 vs i7

dauntingillusions

Reputable
May 29, 2014
Okay, I am trying to figure out what cpu (Intel Xeon E3 1230, Intel i5 4670k, or Intel i7 4770) would be the best for overall use, and gaming, etc., I'm looking to spend at least $250 to $350 on it. If it matters, I'm getting a sapphire r9 290 with it. I'm looking to play games on ultra 1080p with some AA. thanks in advance.

the build i'm getting: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tFKRgs but the cpu is up in the air still.

Solution
Ok then only the CPU's from Intel that have a "K" after them have an unlocked multiplier, and can be more easily overclocked. I would go with the i7-4770K if you can afford it. It is a monster of a CPU! It would last you well into the future at this point, for it is one of the most powerful CPU's on the market. Just make sure you get a good motherboard to go with it.

I just noticed that the i7-4790K is going for the same price as the 4770K on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA02D0JE0732

But the i5-4690K that enemy1g listed above is a very nice CPU, and is $100 cheaper. So really depends on how much you want to spend.
Ok then only the CPU's from Intel that have a "K" after them have an unlocked multiplier, and can be more easily overclocked. I would go with the i7-4770K if you can afford it. It is a monster of a CPU! It would last you well into the future at this point, for it is one of the most powerful CPU's on the market. Just make sure you get a good motherboard to go with it.

I just noticed that the i7-4790K is going for the same price as the 4770K on Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA02D0JE0732

But the i5-4690K that enemy1g listed above is a very nice CPU, and is $100 cheaper. So really depends on how much you want to spend.

Solution

dauntingillusions

Reputable
May 29, 2014

Okay, Then I'll probably just end up getting that. Is the ASRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer good for OC'ing?

Obnoxious

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
If you're planning to overclock, your current CPU and motherboard will not permit it. You've selected a B85 chipset motherboard, you need a Z87 or Z97 motherboard to overclock; yes certain non-Z motherboards do permit overclocking however I would not rely on them, and I can't find any details whether your current B85 can overclock or not, hence it is safe to assume it cannot.

To overclock as mentioned, you'll need a motherboard with the "Z" prefix such as the Z87 and Z97. In addition your CPU must have an unlocked multiplier; this can be determined with the suffix "K" on the end of the CPU. For example the Intel i5-4670K has an unlocked multiplier, hence is designed for overclock, whereas the same i5 without the K, the i5-4670 (notice no K on the end) is not for overclocking.

To summarise, you'll need a Z and K variant motherboard and CPU respectively if you desire to overclock. Hence if you're planning to overclock, the Xeon E3-1230 v3 is out of the question (it is locked).

If you are not planning to overclock however, your current build is fine. The Xeon E3-1230 v3 provides the same performance (or near enough) as the Intel i7 4770; so you could go with the Xeon and spend more on the GPU, or another component.

All the best. :)

pigsinspace72

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014

No, it is a B85 motherboard, you need to get a z97 or z87 motherboard to overclock.

You should get the i7 4790k instead of the i7 4770k if your going that route.

Try this build. I changed the CPU to the 4790k. Also, I changed your PSU tp an XFX. But that is just my preference. They are both greater than 85% efficient and the XFX has 53 amps on the 12v rail. They are pretty much identical, I just prefer XFX. The XFX is also $10 cheaper.

dauntingillusions

Reputable
May 29, 2014

Okay, I did that. And I also will get the lower profile ram just to be safe.