[SOLVED] Xeon E5-1650 V2 motherboard compatability

pandapcbuilder

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
Hi, I am looking to buy the E5-1650 V2 and was looking for a cheap HP (used) motherboard. My price range is pretty low around $60. I found this one for 60 but there was another for 40 that sold, so there is hope that there are cheaper x79's motherboards! So, can someone recommend me a preferably NOT chinese motherboard and a used HP or reputable brand old server/workstation motherboard that is compatable with the 1680. Also it would be EPIC if you can tell me if the motherboard linked is compatible with le E5. Thank much :)

edit: 1680 just sold like 10 minutes ago and was only one with decent price :/ (1650 here we go!) :D

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, I am looking to buy the E5-1650 V2 and was looking for a cheap HP (used) motherboard. My price range is pretty low around $60. I found this one for 60 but there was another for 40 that sold, so there is hope that there are cheaper x79's motherboards! So, can someone recommend me a preferably NOT chinese motherboard and a used HP or reputable brand old server/workstation motherboard that is compatable with the 1680. Also it would be EPIC if you can tell me if the motherboard linked is compatible with le E5. Thank much :)

edit: 1680 just sold like 10 minutes ago and was only one with decent price :/ (1650 here we go!) :D
That HP motherboard said what host it came from (Z420) goolge "Z420 quickspecs" to see what CPUs...

kanewolf

Titan

That HP motherboard said what host it came from (Z420) goolge "Z420 quickspecs" to see what CPUs that HP sold with that motherboard.
The problem with buying something like that HP motherboard instead of a standard Z79 is that the plugs may not be standard. It didn't look like that Z420 used standard ATX power (and if you watch YouTube videos you will see it is not). So then you have to deal with adapter cables and other strange things. I don't recommend buying just a motherboard if you are getting a non-standard one like an HP. Get the whole Z420. But you won't do that for $60...

Solution

pandapcbuilder

Commendable
Nov 4, 2017
That HP motherboard said what host it came from (Z420) goolge "Z420 quickspecs" to see what CPUs that HP sold with that motherboard.
The problem with buying something like that HP motherboard instead of a standard Z79 is that the plugs may not be standard. It didn't look like that Z420 used standard ATX power (and if you watch YouTube videos you will see it is not). So then you have to deal with adapter cables and other strange things. I don't recommend buying just a motherboard if you are getting a non-standard one like an HP. Get the whole Z420. But you won't do that for $60...
Thanks a lot for the help! Will google. Will consider buying Z420 at recycling plant or whatever it's called, but sorry for noobie question, did you mean x79 or z79?

"The problem with buying something like that HP motherboard instead of a standard Z79 "