Xeon E5-2630 v4 2,2Ghz CPU - Stays at 2,4Ghz

Feb 6, 2019
I'm not that computer savvy, so everything I've tried has been through google searches and reading through the motherboard manual. I'm at a loss and hope someone here can help.

Bios was updated because windows was unresponsive (laggy) and as far as I know the build should be able to handle itself pretty well. After the bios was updated the CPU was stuck at 2,4Ghz no matter what task is performed. Stresstesting shows no difference in CPU speed.

We are 6 people working together that experienced the same issue, one re-installed windows after bios update as well, but it made no difference. All locked at 2,4Ghz. All have the same builds as well.

Here's what I've checked so far:
- CPU-Z stresstest before bios update (approx. 350 single core)
- CPU-Z stresstest after bios update (approx. 300 single core)
- Battery settings set to high performance (100% on low and high)
- CPU temeratures checked (40 degrees celcius)
- Bios has turbo enabled (but I have no access to advanced bios settings)
- Bios c-state set to (C0/C1)
- Windows is updated

I suspect maybe some sort of power saving option in the BIOS could be locking the CPU speeds. Google tells me p-state settings might be the issue, but I can't access them in Bios (advanced settings are not there).

Build:
PSU - SuperMicro 732D3-903B - Mid-Tower Chassis Silent 21dB 900W Single PSU
MOBO - Supermicro MB X10SRA - Single Xeon E5v3/v4 10xSATA 8xDIMM Audio
CPU - Intel Xeon E5 10-Core - E5-2630v4 2.20GHz 25MB LGA2011 8.0GT/s 85W
Cooler - Supermicro CPU Cooler - Intel LGA 2011, low noise 19.5 dB, square/narrow
RAM (x4) - Samsung 16GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC Unbuffered
PCIe drive - Intel DC P3500 - 1.2TB NVMe SSD 20nm MLC PCIe 3.0 Low Profile 0.3DWPD
SATA drive - Seagate Desktop - 2TB SATA3 - 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"
Graphics (x2) - EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC PCIe 3.0 8GB GDDR5X 1xDVI-D 3xDP 1xHDMI
Windows - MS OEM Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (fully updated)

Lutfij

Titan
With all due respect, I understand you're trying to work with Windows 7 but have you tried verifying that the installer isn't corrupt? Also since you've come all this way, have you tried working with Windows 10 after creating a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

You've also forgotten to mention the make and model of your PSU.

Moved thread from CPUs to Systems.

Feb 6, 2019

Thanks for the quick reply.

My appologies, I am running windows 10, I just copied the speccs of the ordering form where we bought the computers. They probably forgot to write 10 instead of 7.

PSU (also from odering form) - SuperMicro 732D3-903B - Mid-Tower Chassis Silent 21dB 900W Single PSU

Updating initial post now.

Feb 6, 2019
Hi again,

I fiddled around some more in the BIOS, without really having any documentation to go on.

Turning on C6 report and Enhanced Halt State (C1E) seemed to turn on the turbo mode again. I have no idea why.

Does anyone know what these bios settings do?

CPU C3 report
CPU C6 report
Enhanced Halt State (C1E)