Question Xeon e5 2696v3 turbo unlock doesn't work at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2022
Hi,sorry that my english isnt veryy well, i have xeon e5 2696 v3 on huananzhi x99 tf.
I trided all of internet Tutorial and turbo unlock driver and its akways 3.3ghz max turbo on stress or game but if i go to destop somtimes it reach 3.7 GHz and i dont know what to do i read about thermal throtling but my cpu has 30-40 celcius and if i try to unblock power cut in throtle stop but it Goes down to 2.8 at stress. Is that posible to unblock power it or fix that will it works at 3.8ghz at stress or in a game?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
i have seen a video with,a same processor and mobo with3.7 at all cores and i dont know how this guy did this
Many of those vids around, he/they likely uses a custom bios which he/they again likely linked in the video description. You'll probably need to look again/more.
Might also be that the motherboard you use just doesn't give the ability to change this behaviour in any way.

Sep 26, 2022
Many of those vids around, he/they likely uses a custom bios which he/they again likely linked in the video description. You'll probably need to look again/more.
Might also be that the motherboard you use just doesn't give the ability to change this behaviour in any way.
They dont linked the bios and i ask for it anyway in the comment setction but the mobo in some Vids are same or very simlar like only visual details but no one replay me

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
That link is not for just downloading a bios, it's for making a back up of your current bios, modify your bios and flash it onto your motherboard, it's a tutorial, not just a fast download, but i guess you don't want to do the dirty work,look at the whole vid and learn. You might very well brick your motherboard if you do things wrong. keep that in mind.

Sep 26, 2022
That link is not for just downloading a bios, it's for making a back up of your current bios, modify your bios and flash it onto your motherboard, it's a tutorial, not just a fast download, but i guess you don't want to do the dirty work,look at the whole vid and learn. You might very well brick your motherboard if you do things wrong. keep that in mind.
No i tryed to make my own modified bios with s3 turbo tool and i insert turbo unlock driver with undervolt - 90 and - 70mv and with the same resoult and change bios state to c0 c1 and disable c3 and c6 report

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
At about min. 7.30 and up he tells to disable bios lock, did you do that as well?

About the only thing i can think of, but you have to do the legwork. If you really want to do this keep reading about it and make sure you follow all steps a tutorial talks about.

Sep 26, 2022
At about min. 7.30 and up he tells to disable bios lock, did you do that as well?

About the only thing i can think of, but you have to do the legwork. If you really want to do this keep reading about it and make sure you follow all steps a tutorial talks about.
I fix that i made custom pei driver - 100 - 70 mV and unlock chipset lock and cp/c1 state c3 and c6 report disable. On stress its still 3.3ghz but in game its 3.7 but better than before. Are they any methot to unlock power throttiling?

fromage9747

Prominent
Nov 29, 2022
I fix that i made custom pei driver - 100 - 70 mV and unlock chipset lock and cp/c1 state c3 and c6 report disable. On stress its still 3.3ghz but in game its 3.7 but better than before. Are they any methot to unlock power throttiling?

Just got my 2696v3 and Huananzhi board. Applied the TB unlock and I also cannot get above 3.3ghz on CPU-z stress test. Even stranger is that when I run cinebench R23 the max core clock I get on all cores is 2.9ghz! running 90/50 undervolt. I have a feeling that when the CPU task is using AVX/AVX2, it eats up some of the core clock speed. Anyway, just a thought as to what might be causing this voodoo on the youtube channels. I would love to know what they are doing to get the 3.7/3.8 in their vids, even if it is a BLCK clock or something

fromage9747

Prominent
Nov 29, 2022

Watch this vid:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqz9J8Bo_g&ab_channel=%D0%A2%D0%B5%D1%85%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%9F%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%82%D0%B0

Turn on CC and use the google auto-translate. Everything that we are experiencing, this chap is explaining.

jb6789

Reputable
Apr 9, 2019
Late to the party, for what it is worth. I too run an E5-2696v3 on a HuananZhi X99TF (Vers.1) and with MiyConst's Mi899 have installed one of the Custom BIOS available within the Mi899 toolkit. I have landed upon the TU PEI -50/50 custom BIOS, which was developed on the X99F8 and is compatible with X99TF. As I understood from various MiYConst's reviews, the underlying "S3TurboHack" within this particular driver is preferred as the TU persists following a wake-up from sleep.
There are a couple of things one can do to maximize all core clock speeds to get one nearer to the 3.8Ghz top cap...HOWEVER...you will always be limited by the TDP 145W hard stop. This is a P1 TDP cap. There are settings in the bios to maximize the time between P1 and P2 states (125% of 145W) . Tweaking these settings may get one closer to an all core target of 3.8Ghz. However, you will always be limited by the POWER TDP of 145W. There are also settings to MANUALLY adjust (tighten) the RAM timings, to further improve performance. In both cases, it will be silicon and RAM hardware dependent as to results.
What I have noticed is that on certain benchmarks and stress tests (e.g. Prime95 only gets me to an all core of ~2.9Ghz or 29x; Cinebench R15 tends to bounce around 31x with score of 2589, R20 gets to a clock of 28x with a score @5398, etc. ) the ALL CORE clock doesn't come close to the turbo boost limit. But then again, on certain games like World of Tanks, the all core bounces between 34x and at times 38x (the max limit) for extended periods.
I would not want my silicon running constantly at 38x, in any event. The benefits would not be of interest considering the unnecessary power draw and stress on the X99TF. Note, that I do maintain forced air (90mm fan) over the VRM's...as a matter of safe practice and to enhance HW longevity. [note, even under stress, my CPU does not exceed 52C with 20C ambient; with air cooling via a dual 120mm 6x6mm heatpipe cooler with a TDP rating of 230W]
A name-brand X99 motherboard (ASUS, AsRock, MSI, etc.) may certainly allow further performance tuning via the BLCK (base clock) above the ~100Mhz baseline...HOWEVER, this too is a tradeoff on stability, system component stresses (longevity) and power draw.
Bottom line...the TurboUnlock does work and it does signficantly unlock real value in the X99 platform for XEON E5-2xxxV3. For my E5-2696v3, I really cannot complain considering I recently paid only $51 for the chip, DELIVERED!
The upgrade from the E5-2678v3 (also TU'd) delivers about a 25% improvement, across the board. The 2696v3 is a BEAST and although it cannot compete with 13th gen i3/i5 or the latest from Ryzen...it does MUCH more than I need it to do and was a no brainer investment.
If I have to further invest on performance with this platform, it would be with the GPU [from GTX1080Ti to something like the RTX 2080Ti...or an equivalent from AMD]. No rush to do so...things are running quite well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.