[SOLVED] Xeon E5 V4 powered by only one 4 pin CPU connector, doable?

Mar 5, 2020
I recently got from a friend from his company a used motherboard from an HPE ML110 gen9 and I am trying to build a gaming system for my little brother. The motherboard is essentially an X99 serverboard but I discovered that the power connector dedicated to the CPU has only 4 pins, half of what I have thought as the bare minimum for an X99 board.

I am currently considering getting the E5 4627 V4. It's quite cheap on aliexpress, has 10 cores (no hyperthreading though) and has relatively high base clock speed (2.6 Ghz) and turbo frequency (3.2 Ghz). But it has a TDP of 135W, and I wonder if a 4 pin connector can handle such a hungry cpu, especially during prolonged periods of gaming. In official documents on HPE's website, it says the 1680 v4 (TDP 140W) is also a viable option, but I think HPE probably doesn't account for gaming.

What do you guys think about snapping in a 4627 v4 to this system? Is a 4-pin stable enough for powering up the cpu and gaming? Or does anyone of you have relevant experience? Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
I recently got from a friend from his company a used motherboard from an HPE ML110 gen9 and I am trying to build a gaming system for my little brother. The motherboard is essentially an X99 serverboard but I discovered that the power connector dedicated to the CPU has only 4 pins, half of what I have thought as the bare minimum for an X99 board.

I am currently considering getting the E5 4627 V4. It's quite cheap on aliexpress, has 10 cores (no hyperthreading though) and has relatively high base clock speed (2.6 Ghz) and turbo frequency (3.2 Ghz). But it has a TDP of 135W, and I wonder if a 4 pin connector can handle such a hungry cpu, especially during prolonged periods of gaming. In official documents on HPE's website, it says...

kanewolf

Titan

I am currently considering getting the E5 4627 V4. It's quite cheap on aliexpress, has 10 cores (no hyperthreading though) and has relatively high base clock speed (2.6 Ghz) and turbo frequency (3.2 Ghz). But it has a TDP of 135W, and I wonder if a 4 pin connector can handle such a hungry cpu, especially during prolonged periods of gaming. In official documents on HPE's website, it says the 1680 v4 (TDP 140W) is also a viable option, but I think HPE probably doesn't account for gaming.

What do you guys think about snapping in a 4627 v4 to this system? Is a 4-pin stable enough for powering up the cpu and gaming? Or does anyone of you have relevant experience? Thanks.
An E5-4xxx CPU would not be supported. Those are designed for quad socket motherboards and won't work with motherboards that are single or dual. They are cheap because nobody wants E5-4xxx CPUs because they aren't supported by "normal" motherboards. You will have to have an E5-1xxx or E5-2xxx V4 CPU. The HP quicspecs list the supported CPUs -- https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04545452.pdf?ver=23#pagemode=bookmarks

Solution