[SOLVED] Xeon E5450 Bottleneck

ravenhaven03

Prominent
Nov 7, 2018
So my actual rig is currently unavailable to me, for the next few months, and the only thing i have to work with is a DDR2 system with an Xeon E5450 CPU. But my GPU is an RX 570, Sapphire ITX, so i'm curious, how bad would my cpu bottleneck the GPU? I am not aiming for full performance, i just wanna know where i'm at and what to expect.

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
i don't think it will damage the RX570, as bottleneck basically means that you can't use your RX 570 to it's fullest potential due to limitation in CPU power. It limits it's performance, not actually "hurting" the GPU as in it's going to be broken because getting paired with an e5450.
the only way you can hurt / break your GPU is by having some shitty PSU that may explode when paired with a power hungry GPU such as RX 570, or by breaking it physically (like dropping it, snap it off in half, spray it with water while running and whatnot). No worries about breaking for getting paired with old CPU.

ravenhaven03

Prominent
Nov 7, 2018
Ok, the PSU is not a problem i have a pretty decent EVGA one, i just wanted to make sure that it only limits it to like a 750ti performance instead of letting it go all out and that it won't break it or something. Thanks for the info.

ravenhaven03

Prominent
Nov 7, 2018
Just a quick question i realized i should probably ask also. Are there any chances of some incompatibility issues with this rig and an RX 570? The parts are pretty damn old. Functional but old.
Mobo- P5k-SE
Ram- Mushkin 4x2GB (1066Mhz) DDR2 Kits

Irisena

Commendable
Oct 1, 2019
modern GPU will work with anything I think, but although i said that, I have no idea whether or not it will work to guarantee any sort of compatibility issue to you. best thing to do is just upgrade your platform first, then buy your GPU later, as that RX 570 won't do you much good with that old Xeon anyway.

Yes, there may be compatibility issue in the form of bios compatibility. Your gpu may only support uefi boards whereas yours is legacy. This is dependent on the gpu and you will have to determine if your sapphire is uefi only, uefi and legacy, or uefi and legacy with a switch somewhere. But since you already have the card, if there was a compatibility issue with the bios, your pc wont boot/display anything with it installed.

TRENDING THREADS