Xeon E5450 on MSI G41M P28

MarkoBangiev

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
So i want to buy a new CPU (Intel Xeon e5450) and i saw that it is possible to use a Xeon from a 771 socket on a 775 socket. I have an MSI g41m p28 motherboard and would like to put this Xeon CPU on it. The CPU is already modified to work on a 775socket, so i have a couple of questions: wil the motherboard support this CPU and if it does, should the BIOS be modified and where can i find a modified version of the BIOS. And I'm also ising Windows 10 Education 64bit, will the CPU be supported by the OS?

Solution
This CPU is compatible with this mobo, i recently sold this cpu and helped to update bios with moded bios, this cpu now works with this mobo and 1 ram stick 4Gb. U can find your bios here: http://genius239239.myweb.hinet.net/771/, just press ctrl+F and type "g41m-p28".

evgen91

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
This CPU is compatible with this mobo, i recently sold this cpu and helped to update bios with moded bios, this cpu now works with this mobo and 1 ram stick 4Gb. U can find your bios here: http://genius239239.myweb.hinet.net/771/, just press ctrl+F and type "g41m-p28".

Solution

marko bangiev

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
I received the CPU and did what you guys told me, everything works perfectly. There was no need to cut the socket or add a sticker on the CPU pins, the CPU i received already had custom gaps to fit in a LGA775 and had the sticker on.
Thank you guys for the instructions, one funny thing is that my Motherboard was actually a P26, not a P28 xD, don't know how i mixed that up since the model name is displayed on every boot xD.
Only problem i have right now i overclocking it, in the BIOS it says base clock: 333MHz and ratio: x9.0.
When I set the base clock higher for example to 350MHz meaning the CPU would run at 3.15GHz, I save the changes and restart and after that the PC doesn't work, just coolers spinning and i have to clear the CMOS for it to work again on stock.
Some people say that the problem is the C0 stepping, it wasn't good for overclocking, I don't have a lot of knowledge on that field, i have tried a couple of tutorials, but mostly nothing works since they are meant for different motherboards.
If you guys have any suggestions please tell me, the overclock is not that important, but if there is a way I'd definitely would like do have it :D . Thanks again.

evgen91

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Your motherboard has G41 chipset, which is not designed for overclocking, you may get a very small overcklock but it will be insignificant and it can cause risks for your mobo.
P.S.: Previously i recommended gtx 960 graphic card as one of possible options for this CPU, but after test with similar Xeon and 8Gb of DDR3 1333Mhz RAM it showed bad performance in last section of benchmark test in GTA V: same graphic card with i5-4460 shows 54-82 fps and Xeon shows only 30-50 fps on the same medium graphics settings. So i would recomment GTX750Ti 2Gb as a best match for your CPU.

MarkoBangiev

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

Ok, I never knew that the G41 chipset isn't ment for overclocking, thanks for the info. About the graphics card, I already have an R9 280X 3Gb and as weird as it sounds, there is very little bottleneck from the Xeon, in GTA V i get from 40 up to 80fps, all settings maxed out and in The Witcher 3 i get from 30fps in the most crowded areas, up to 75fps in the open areas and everything is maxed out except Nvidia hairworks.

May 19, 2019
i have the G41M-P33 And 775 socket i want to do the same thing you did , it is possible to use a Xeon e5450

Ok, I never knew that the G41 chipset isn't ment for overclocking, thanks for the info. About the graphics card, I already have an R9 280X 3Gb and as weird as it sounds, there is very little bottleneck from the Xeon, in GTA V i get from 40 up to 80fps, all settings maxed out and in The Witcher 3 i get from 30fps in the most crowded areas, up to 75fps in the open areas and everything is maxed out except Nvidia hairworks.

?