[SOLVED] Xeon for Asus P6T Motherboard?

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
What are some of the better CPUs that will work for this Asus P6T Motherboard for gaming and for productivity work? It has an i7-950 in it now. I'd like to put a 6C/12T Xeon in it but the CPU support list doesn't show any Xeons. (?)
The board has the latest BIOS that Asus released for it (1408).

What are some of the better CPUs that will work for this Asus P6T Motherboard for gaming and for productivity work? It has an i7-950 in it now. I'd like to put a 6C/12T Xeon in it but the CPU support list doesn't show any Xeons. (?)
The board has the latest BIOS that Asus released for it (1408).

I have the similar ASUS ROG Rampage II with the X58 chipset. I had a core i7 920 when I bought it brand new and upgraded it to the X5650. Works well for my needs, video encoding. But for gaming I would get the one with the highest clock speed possible, which are the X5680 and X5690. They're not terribly expensive, like $60-$90 on ebay. But you aren't really going to notice much of a difference unless you start fully loading 4 cores and your program needs more. You will notice it for video encoding and things like that.

However, if you live near a microcenter, you can buy a Ryzen 1600 brand new for $80, and a A320 motherboard for $20 when you bundle it with the processor. That's $100, the problem is then you need DDDr4 memory, which costs another $40 for an 8GB stick. All your other parts transfer over, but the ryzen 1600 has about 30% more performance than the 5680 due to a slightly higher clock speed and better IPC then 1st gen Intel Core parts. The ryzen processor will run much much cooler and allow you to upgrade in the future.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
However, if you live near a microcenter, you can buy a Ryzen 1600 brand new for $80, and a A320 motherboard for $20 when you bundle it with the processor. That's $100, the problem is then you need DDDr4 memory, which costs another $40 for an 8GB stick. All your other parts transfer over, but the ryzen 1600 has about 30% more performance than the 5680 due to a slightly higher clock speed and better IPC then 1st gen Intel Core parts. The ryzen processor will run much much cooler and allow you to upgrade in the future.
https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-spire-cooler
Why more people don't jump[ on the AMD wagon is beyond me. There is so much value to performance there. You have a good Idea for him. I would go with what you say, its just cheaper to go with that than try to use old system.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Core i7 Extreme Edition 990X is the highest listed for the motherboard. On this page the xeon cpus that may work with your board are listed. I would look up each xeon cpu with your motherboard and see if people are using them. I have seen some posts that say they do work. http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P6T_Deluxe_V2.html
Unfortunately, I have the plain vanilla Asus P6T. The Asus P6T V2 Deluxe listed above might have different micro code updates to its BIOS. So far I haven't found any searches showing the plain P6T using a Xeon, but I'll keep looking. Thanks.

ManOfArc

Honorable
Jul 8, 2017
Can I ask a related question? What would be the best graphics card to run with the i7-950? I don't mind wasting a little money on bottleneck if it gives me the best graphics. I do mostly single-player gaming anyway.

TRENDING THREADS