[SOLVED] Xeon & Nvidia

Oct 24, 2020
Hi. Any opinions on whether putting an nvidia 3080 founders into an existing system which has the following, will work ok?

SSD = 6x 400GB
Dual Xeon E5 2680V4 (14 cores and 35MB cache each)
128GB DDR4 RAM
9th Gen HPE ML350 chassis

It’s not beautiful but it’s effective and very happy with it for my heavy duty use. Want a card that matches the rest.

cheers
James

Solution
Thanks! Out of interest, can you tell me why it is so bad for gaming? Not a gamer, but interested to learn. Thanks
Mainly because it doesn't have high single core clock speeds. Gaming is about clock speeds on 1 - 4 cores. 28 cores (plus hyperthreading) is of no value. Even with day to day things, you might find you get better performance turning OFF hyperthreading in the BIOS. There is not many software tasks that can efficiently keep 50+ threads busy. It is worth experimenting, based on your use-case.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks! Out of interest, can you tell me why it is so bad for gaming? Not a gamer, but interested to learn. Thanks
Mainly because it doesn't have high single core clock speeds. Gaming is about clock speeds on 1 - 4 cores. 28 cores (plus hyperthreading) is of no value. Even with day to day things, you might find you get better performance turning OFF hyperthreading in the BIOS. There is not many software tasks that can efficiently keep 50+ threads busy. It is worth experimenting, based on your use-case.

Solution