Question Xeon or Core i7?

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
Hi!

I have a desktop PC with a MSI B85M-E45 motherboard. The board is mounted with one of the weakest CPU's, and I'm considering an optimization...

Regarding benchmark and other technical specifications these two CPU's seems to be very similar:
Intel Xeon E3-1275 v3 @ 3.50GHz
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.50GHz

The Xeon is stated to be a server type CPU, while the core i7 is a desktop type. The motherboard do support both CPU's.

What is the practical differences between these two types CPU?

The PC will be used for ordinary desktop work, ...office software, video/dvd, some photoshopping. No heavy operations like rendering or gaming. It will be sufficient using the integrated graphics, I believe...

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
1275 v3 has a base clock of 2.7Ghz and boost up to 3.9Ghz
i7-4770k has a base clock of 3.5Ghz and boost up to 3.9Ghz

There is no practical difference in internal design. K chip is unlocked and can comfortably run at 4.3-4.5Ghz with the right cooling, but that is meaningless if your motherboard isn't also unlocked.

Minor differences in security features available, but probably not something you would be concerned with.

Jassen

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
OK, ...but is the MSI B85M-E45 locked or unlocked?
I don't think it's unlocked, usually the "Z" series are unlocked, but some vendors like Asus, unlocked it on all 1150 socket chip sets.

Main difference is that Xeon has a ECC memory support and a bit of features that you don't need.
My advice is get the Intel Core i7-4770K, get the latest bios for you MB, and pray you'll have unlocked multiplayer. Even if you don't, the i7 is like 3% faster from what I've seen as benchmarks.

EDIT: Actually the i7-4770K is faster in games like 5 to 8 frames (https://pc-builds.com/compare/cpu/0uX/0vV/)

Last edited:

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
I don't think it's unlocked...
Well, there is a guy here, that has overklocked an i7-4790k @4GHz with this board, but wasn't allowed to set the multiplier value higher than x44, which gives the same speed as It's turbo speed at default settings. Doesn't give any real boost then, perhaps? :rolleyes:

I'll might get a 4790K any way (?), but they are a bit expensive om the second hand marked...

Last edited:

Jassen

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Well, there is a guy here, that has overklocked a i7-4790k @4GHz with this board, but wasn't allowed to set the multiplier value higher than x44, which gives the same speed as It's turbo speed at default settings. Doesn't give any real boost then, perhaps? :rolleyes:

I'll might get a 4790K any way (?), but they are a bit expensive om the second hand marked...
Turbo Boost @ maximum speed is achieved when only 1 core is under load, if all 4 cores are under load then it will be less. For example, i7-4790k has a Turbo Boost of:

1-2 core load = 4.4Ghz
3 core load = 4.3Ghz
4 core load = 4.2Ghz

So manually setting the multiplayer to max Turbo frequency will give you a boost, when all cores are under load(when you need it the most), that is considered Overclocking. From what I know some MBs can use Turbo Boost on all cores with "multicore enhancement", but Intel pursued them to remove it and they did in later bios version.
Anyway, you should be able to set a multiplayer that matches your Turbo Boost frequency. TBH for a good OC, you'll need good cooling ,PSU and knowledge, even then don't expect much.

What is the price difference between the 3 CPUs? What do you use your PC for? 4790k is 10% faster than 4770k (theoretically), but what I see on forums, is that the 4790k is more overclockable. But with your MB I think OC is out of the question. What are your specs, GPU, RAM, Case, Cooler, PSU?

PS: Just saw your OP, what you use your PC for.

Last edited:

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
What is the price difference between the 3 CPUs? What do you use your PC for?
The 4770k and the Xeon about the same pricing, from around 130-140USD
The 4990k from around 200-250USD
+ various shipping costs
(ebay/ Amazon)

In the domestic marked (Norway), a bargain can show up. I could put the PC together with the old CPU and wait for an opportunity :)

The overclocking capacity isn't a big issue. As written, there is no need for heavy operations, but I like to optimize the gear anyway... :)

I will use a standard 550w Corsair PSU, some whatever 1600MHz DDR3 Ram and a H60 water cooler...SSD system disk, and a second mechanical disk...and some cheap mATX cabinet.

I have some experience in overclocking, and have built quite a lot of economy gaming PC's, mostly AMD-rigs (Have had some gaming kids in the home over the years...)

...but no gaming on this one...the only gaming I do is Wordfeud and Mineswiper. :p

Water cooling and integrated GPU for a silent desktop PC is a more important issue, as well as a small box :)

Last edited:

Jassen

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
There was a guy, who ordered some low end GPU form AliExpress and it turned out to be a fake(Some Chinese flashed similar GPU). So I personally will stick with Amazon/Ebay, not a guarantee but, just to be safe.

So if Photoshop is gonna be the heaviest load on the CPU, get the 4770k, no need to spend that 60$ to 100$ on the 4790k. I'm pretty sure you wont notice any difference. The H60 is pretty cool but its not, High-End, so no need to go enthusiast with 4790k + your MB limitation, case.
From what I've heard some features of PS(filters or what ever) worked a lot faster on dedicated GPU, but everything else, the iGPU of 4770k, can handle. You can get a GPU with passive cooling for that 60 -100 bucks, if needed.

PS: Playing with the base clock, timings, can "optimize :) " the 4770K by 100-200MHz I'm pretty sure.

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
There was a guy, who ordered some low end GPU form AliExpress and it turned out to be a fake(Some Chinese flashed similar GPU)
Well, it's not easy making a fake Intel CPU, but of course, buying cheap is always a risky bussiness... :rolleyes:

You can get a GPU with passive cooling for that 60 -100 bucks, if needed
I use a AMD HD 5450 with passive cooling for my present PC, and it works just fine. In bench this one is a lot weaker than the integrated Intel HD 4600

Jassen

Prominent
Dec 23, 2019
Well, it's not easy making a fake Intel CPU, but of course, buying cheap is always a risky bussiness... :rolleyes:

I use a AMD HD 5450 with passive cooling for my present PC, and it works just fine. In bench this one is a lot weaker than the integrated Intel HD 4600
Well, I was thinking of something like getting an i3 4330 with the lid of an i7 4790K, or so.

I was thinking of something like nVidia GT 1030 or so if you need it, for PS.

Turbo Boost @ maximum speed is achieved when only 1 core is under load, if all 4 cores are under load then it will be less. For example, i7-4790k has a Turbo Boost of:

1-2 core load = 4.4Ghz
3 core load = 4.3Ghz
4 core load = 4.2Ghz

So manually setting the multiplayer to max Turbo frequency will give you a boost, when all cores are under load(when you need it the most), that is considered Overclocking. From what I know some MBs can use Turbo Boost on all cores with "multicore enhancement", but Intel pursued them to remove it and they did in later bios version.
Anyway, you should be able to set a multiplayer that matches your Turbo Boost frequency. TBH for a good OC, you'll need good cooling ,PSU and knowledge, even then don't expect much.

What is the price difference between the 3 CPUs? What do you use your PC for? 4790k is 10% faster than 4770k (theoretically), but what I see on forums, is that the 4790k is more overclockable. But with your MB I think OC is out of the question. What are your specs, GPU, RAM, Case, Cooler, PSU?

PS: Just saw your OP, what you use your PC for.
Technically you are correct, practically some vendors developed technologies to bypass that, for example at Asus is called sync all cores and put all cores at the speed of turbo boost, for example even on an locked board if your cpu can do 4 ghz turbo boost then you can use this feature, put boost multiplier to 40 and activate sync all cores and you have on all cores 4ghz, yes it is tested by me personally and it works.