crackedpots79

Honorable
Apr 27, 2018
My mate works for a tech support company. They offer tech support to companies too small to have their own IT departments. This company offers storage space for a fee. and its been a process to upgrade and expand this part of the company. It a very successful company and the guys working there have been very successful in upgrading and sometimes replacing PC's, Laptops, tablets and on occasion entire server racks. replacing spinning hard drives for SSd's and NVMe drives. There has been during this pandemic quite allot of E-waste generated. I got in on the ground floor as their E-waste removal person. I have taken things apart and no idea of what I am holding, until I google it or ask someone what this is.. This is no exception, except those I've asked don't know either. haha.. So I must ask a community of professional nerds if they know.. what this substance is.
Xeon processors the bigger ones I have been delidding for the precious metals on the chip and the lid its self. In taking the nickle coated lids off there is a metal its very soft almost like lead, but much softer. in between the silicon processor and the lid. Melt point is very low lower than lead. No one can tell me what this material is. It almost looks like Mercury with the consistency of lead. I can scrape it off it curls like lead. I don't think its silver, or sterling. I've been scraping it off the interior silicon chip and off the inside of the copper heat sink which has exposed a 2 sq centimeter area that looks like electroplated gold. I have 4 - 5 gallon buckets of processors, thousands of unprocessed processors. Some have pins, most do not, some are AMD. Anyone know what this material is??

My mate works for a tech support company. They offer tech support to companies too small to have their own IT departments. This company offers storage space for a fee. and its been a process to upgrade and expand this part of the company. It a very successful company and the guys working there have been very successful in upgrading and sometimes replacing PC's, Laptops, tablets and on occasion entire server racks. replacing spinning hard drives for SSd's and NVMe drives. There has been during this pandemic quite allot of E-waste generated. I got in on the ground floor as their E-waste removal person. I have taken things apart and no idea of what I am holding, until I google it or ask someone what this is.. This is no exception, except those I've asked don't know either. haha.. So I must ask a community of professional nerds if they know.. what this substance is.
Xeon processors the bigger ones I have been delidding for the precious metals on the chip and the lid its self. In taking the nickle coated lids off there is a metal its very soft almost like lead, but much softer. in between the silicon processor and the lid. Melt point is very low lower than lead. No one can tell me what this material is. It almost looks like Mercury with the consistency of lead. I can scrape it off it curls like lead. I don't think its silver, or sterling. I've been scraping it off the interior silicon chip and off the inside of the copper heat sink which has exposed a 2 sq centimeter area that looks like electroplated gold. I have 4 - 5 gallon buckets of processors, thousands of unprocessed processors. Some have pins, most do not, some are AMD. Anyone know what this material is??
Probably from what i've known they used indium as the material.