[SOLVED] Xeon to xeon processor upgrade

Aug 3, 2021
I currently am on a workstation Xeon W3565 processor (4 Cores, 8 Threads @3.2 GHz).

I am pretty limited with the processors I can use for the motherboard I have.

Can someone please guide me if upgrading to a Xeon W3680 (6 Cores, 12 Threads @3.33 GHz) is worth it?

Solution
Depends on what you do with it. Can you benefit from 2 more cores and 4 more threads? Being that the Xeon W3680 is only $35 on ebay it worth a try. but whatever you are doing has to be able to use all the cores and threads to make the upgrade worth while. otherwise Ghz to Ghz they are pretty much the same CPU.

For work i was still running an i7 950, about 4 years ago i replaced it with a i7 980x which kept the computer going for a few more years.
Depends on what you do with it. Can you benefit from 2 more cores and 4 more threads? Being that the Xeon W3680 is only $35 on ebay it worth a try. but whatever you are doing has to be able to use all the cores and threads to make the upgrade worth while. otherwise Ghz to Ghz they are pretty much the same CPU.

For work i was still running an i7 950, about 4 years ago i replaced it with a i7 980x which kept the computer going for a few more years.

Solution
Aug 3, 2021

I'm just starting into PC gaming and bought a "gaming PC" for cheap. It has 16gb and and RX 470 GPU. So far its running fine and plays fine but there's a few games where it takes a bit of time to startup. Play is fairly smooth. I figured the processor is what was keeping it from loading up quicker.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm just starting into PC gaming and bought a "gaming PC" for cheap. It has 16gb and and RX 470 GPU. So far its running fine and plays fine but there's a few games where it takes a bit of time to startup. Play is fairly smooth. I figured the processor is what was keeping it from loading up quicker.
For gaming, I would keep the higher clock speed of your current CPU.

Reactions: theDONUTSman
If startup is the issue you're trying to solve, that's a storage issue--you need faster storage. If you don't already have an ssd, you need one. If you already have one, you need to have the games stored on an nvme one or a better one.

Reactions: theDONUTSman