[SOLVED] Xeon upgrade one processor running hot - help needed!

greenz123

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
Hoping I can get some help on this from more knowledgeable people than me!

I have a Dell T 5600 with dual Xeon . I upgraded from the E5 2630s that were in it to E5 2687Ws.

All boots up fine. I ran a render and it was loud. Checked temps and 1 processor is running much hotter 90c. It is also running hotter idle and using almost 2x power.

I checked/re seated the cooling fans and checked the newly applied thermal paste which looked to be fully contacted everywhere.

Any ideas? Could it be there isn't enough cooling for these processors? Is there any firmware or software updates I should have done after swapping the processors?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

Solution
You're moving from 95W TDP CPU to 150W TDP CPU. That's going to generate a lot more heat. Making matters worse. The way those heatsinks are organized. It looks like the rear CPU will get a lot of heat from the front CPU.

That system also had two different heatsinks. The small 9YYVV and the large 1TD00. Given the lower watt CPU you likely have the smaller heatsink. Meaning you'll need the larger heatsinks for those CPU.

Also what size PSU do you have? That computer came with a 635W or 825W PSU. With the greater energy draw of those CPU. You'll likely need the 825W PSU.
You're moving from 95W TDP CPU to 150W TDP CPU. That's going to generate a lot more heat. Making matters worse. The way those heatsinks are organized. It looks like the rear CPU will get a lot of heat from the front CPU.

That system also had two different heatsinks. The small 9YYVV and the large 1TD00. Given the lower watt CPU you likely have the smaller heatsink. Meaning you'll need the larger heatsinks for those CPU.

Also what size PSU do you have? That computer came with a 635W or 825W PSU. With the greater energy draw of those CPU. You'll likely need the 825W PSU.

Reactions: greenz123
Solution

greenz123

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
Thanks for the reply. Makes perfect sense. I should of done my homework on this. I have the 635w psu, 1 of the bigger fans and one of the smaller ones. Looks like I'll have to get the 825w psu and another 1TD00. should tin ok with that setup?

Thanks for the reply. Makes perfect sense. I should of done my homework on this. I have the 635w psu, 1 of the bigger fans and one of the smaller ones. Looks like I'll have to get the 825w psu and another 1TD00. should tin ok with that setup?

I'd expect temps to be better. However, the top CPU I could find which Dell offered was the E5-2667W a 130W TDP CPU. So, temps may still be on the warm side. However, the Dell T7600 did use the same 1TD00 heatsink and it did offer the E5-2687W. As far as I can tell it is the largest heatsink for either computer. It does have a lot more fins than the smaller heatsink. I'd expect a temperature drop.

greenz123

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
I'd expect temps to be better. However, the top CPU I could find which Dell offered was the E5-2667W a 130W TDP CPU. So, temps may still be on the warm side. However, the Dell T7600 did use the same 1TD00 heatsink and it did offer the E5-2687W. As far as I can tell it is the largest heatsink for either computer. It does have a lot more fins than the smaller heatsink. I'd expect a temperature drop.

I could be in trouble here. I put the bigger heatsink in with the larger PSU and Im still hitting max temp (92) although after an initial spike temps stay below 90. If anyone has any other suggestions Id appreciate it! Could I underclock the processors slightly? Add more cooling fans? There is a big space in front of the CPUs where HDDs and a dvd drive can go. Theres also spare HDD fan plugs on the MB. Any suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
I could be in trouble here. I put the bigger heatsink in with the larger PSU and Im still hitting max temp (92). If anyone has any other suggestions Id appreciate it! Could I underclock the processors slightly? Add more cooling fans? There is a big space in front of the CPUs where HDDs and a dvd drive can go. Theres also spare HDD fan plugs on the MB. Any suggestions welcome!

Are you hitting these temps in regular use or through some torture test?

greenz123

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
An update. If I set the fans to High in Bios instead of auto I can keep temps below 80. Downside - its on high 100% of the time and its very noisy! I guess the t5600 bios auto settings dont account for the 2687w. Is there anyway I can make these fans quieter?

I'm running renders so all cores max. Taking the side off has dropped the temps down to the low 80s. Noisy though!
An update. If I set the fans to High in Bios instead of auto I can keep temps below 80. Downside - its on high 100% of the time and its very noisy! I guess the t5600 bios auto settings dont account for the 2687w. Is there anyway I can make these fans quieter?

Sounds like you need better case airflow. You'll need a better intake or exhaust. I can't really tell what sized parts may fit though. Looking at pictures there appears to be a rear mesh space which may fit a 120mm fan. If so the NZXT Industrial iPPC 3000 120mm would move a lot of air into the case. It's quite noisy though.

Outside of that. All I could picture is case modding. Perhaps cutting into the side panel and installing some good intake fans. Another may be to remove the front panel. Remove the drive bays and build something up to handle 120mm or even 140mm intake fans. As long as everything up front is removable. It is doable. It may not look pretty but would be functional.

Better airflow with two to three good intake fans can make a difference in noise. Right now from what I've found the T5600 is using 80mm fans. Which means a very high RPM for good aiflow. Thus a lot of noise. Larger fans can move a lot more air per revolution. Meaning lower RPM and less noise. Then it comes down to the design of particular fans. As to which move air the most efficiently. Which isn't easy as you have to balance air flow with pressure. Given the limited vents. You'll want fans which can generate decent pressure.