Question Xeon w3690

Probably 50$
See, another $50 and you can get a used Ryzen. Of course you need the board and memory, but you're basically doubling the performance by spending just a little more. Like I said, if it's dirt cheap the value is there (I run nothing but old stuff myself so I know), but if you're having to invest in any significant sum and performance is the main objective, gotta see what stepping up would cost.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
See, another $50 and you can get a used Ryzen. Of course you need the board and memory, but you're basically doubling the performance by spending just a little more. Like I said, if it's dirt cheap the value is there (I run nothing but old stuff myself so I know), but if you're having to invest in any significant sum and performance is the main objective, gotta see what stepping up would cost.
Your gonna get basicly the same experience as a ryzen 4 core and with the Xeon overclocked it would be close to a 6 core ryzen

Your gonna get basicly the same experience as a ryzen 4 core and with the Xeon overclocked it would be close to a 6 core ryzen
But you've got no way to go from there with the xeon. You're got a nice roadmap with the ryzen. And the amount of power and heat that OC will product will be 2x a ryzen for the same performance.

For running games, minor upgrades on older platforms only make sense when they're dead easy and/or dirt cheap. Otherwise, as games demand more and more, a newer platform is the only way to go if you're playing anything new.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I’m under the assumption they already have a x58 system but even if they don’t it’s so cheap nowadays that if you really can’t afford a new system it’s really the only way to go price for performance. I built a x58 system for less than 100$ that’s 12gb of ram a x5660 a water cooler and a Asus p6t motherboard and I just put in whatever graphics card I had lying around but you can put a decent gpu in it and keep that for down the road when you get a better system. Your road map is game on it for a couple years and save for a new system because it will still be able to get 60fps in games in a couple years for sure

I’m under the assumption they already have a x58 system but even if they don’t it’s so cheap nowadays that if you really can’t afford a new system it’s really the only way to go price for performance. I built a x58 system for less than 100$ that’s 12gb of ram a x5660 a water cooler and a Asus p6t motherboard and I just put in whatever graphics card I had lying around but you can put a decent gpu in it and keep that for down the road when you get a better system. Your road map is game on it for a couple years and save for a new system because it will still be able to get 60fps in games in a couple years for sure
I think the later generations are providing more value now since an older i3 is much more powerful than anything x58. And they're dirt cheap too as I find 4th gen complete systems for under $100. Much more upgrade potential too. Unfortunately the x58 is the new lga775.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I think the later generations are providing more value now since an older i3 is much more powerful than anything x58. And they're dirt cheap too as I find 4th gen complete systems for under $100. Much more upgrade potential too. Unfortunately the x58 is the new lga775.
LOL maybe in 2017 but not now with games using more cores any dual core or even quad core i3 is not even close

Im still fine with i7-875k for 60fps 1080p gaming. Could get used x58 motherboard with x5675 cpu with 12gb triple channel ram (total 12gb) 1866mhz. Worth for 100 euro? I want to hear it from x58 enthuastics like you 86zx, even x58 users look down on my i7-875k and laugh :(

Look up geekbench scores lol sure single core is trash I’ll agree to that. But multi core is plenty

I already have 3 fan aio and case where the mobo would fit so no extra money. Only thing im worried about is ram speed, i will probably sell this 3x4gb 1866mhz set since i have 2x8gb 2400mhz ddr3 ram already. Is there any point (or is even possible) to do 2x8gb ram or triple channel is way more worth in gaming? Im kinda proud of getting my 2400mhz run at 2250mhz (good timings, imc "supports" up to 1333mhz LOL) with lynnfield cpu, is there anyway to get these kinda ram speeds with x58?

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Im still fine with i7-875k for 60fps 1080p gaming. Could get used x58 motherboard with x5675 cpu with 12gb triple channel ram (total 12gb) 1866mhz. Worth for 100 euro? I want to hear it from x58 enthuastics like you 86zx, even x58 users look down on my i7-875k and laugh :(
Hmmm 100 euro seems a bit steep but I’m assuming that’s because of the ram so I suppose it’s not a bad deal.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I already have 3 fan aio and case where the mobo would fit so no extra money. Only thing im worried about is ram speed, i will probably sell this 3x4gb 1866mhz set since i have 2x8gb 2400mhz ddr3 ram already. Is there any point (or is even possible) to do 2x8gb ram or triple channel is way more worth in gaming? Im kinda proud of getting my 2400mhz run at 2250mhz (good timings, imc "supports" up to 1333mhz LOL) with lynnfield cpu, is there anyway to get these kinda ram speeds with x58?
I don’t think your really gonna see an improvement with the more ram speed I’d keep the triple channel and fsb overclock is the way to go with those systems I took a x5660 to 4.5ghz on a super junky 20$ 9 years old asetek water cooler with a bathroom exhaust fan attached to suck all the air through it but it got 993 on cinebench lol. Also it’s up to you but I disable all of the intel security fixes and it makes the systems run a lot snappier

For 100 euro to get a modern combo that has more potential--it's hard to say what's better.

It's crazy good what can be gotten out of these platforms, but for the next level of games that seem to require half a super computer to operate at levels that makes a user go 'wow', these platforms are woefully underpowered unfortunately. What's awesome is these same systems for normal office productivity will be good for even another decade or two, so they still will be around except no one will understand this point and throw them away just to get 'new'. :( Hence why their value for those that understand them and their strengths and weaknesses will be better than anything new.

I don’t think your really gonna see an improvement with the more ram speed I’d keep the triple channel and fsb overclock is the way to go with those systems I took a x5660 to 4.5ghz on a super junky 20$ 9 years old asetek water cooler with a bathroom exhaust fan attached to suck all the air through it but it got 993 on cinebench lol. Also it’s up to you but I disable all of the intel security fixes and it makes the systems run a lot snappier

Do you mean meltdown and spectre? I think it affects all cpu:s performance not only old ones, even like i7-8700k is affected by it if im correct. I got something like 600+ on the cinebench r15 and i plan to overclock, getting around 1k score would be really good boost in performance. Where you able to get the ram running atleast at 1866mhz, and what kinda uncore frequency you had with this overclock? One last question is x5660 better overclocker than x5675 or does it really matter at all? thanks

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
They are basicly the same cpu and my ram was 1333mhz I think with the base overclock it ended up running at 1400 something I can’t remember I remember the base clock being fairly high it’s been a while since I’ve had the system in my hands I gave it to a friend earlier this year I think I was running it at 1.45v