Xeon x5450(nodded for LGA775) in an Optiplex 780 SFF

Oct 31, 2018
I've been searching around on eBay for a better CPU and I remembered hearing about a CPU that was better than the Q9650, so I searched on eBay and I found the CPU. It looked worth it for ~$15 US, but when I looked at the specs, it was 125w. The Q9650 is only 95w, so I'm not sure if my power supply will be able to handle the CPU and if I should just get a Q9650 which I know for a fact work with the PSU. I have a C2D E7500 with 1gb(soon-to-be upgraded), a 250gb HDD, and a disk drive. Here is the ampage of my PSU: +12V / 17A Max
+5V / 16A Max
+3.3V / 5A Max
-12V / 0.5A Max
+5V(FP) / 4A Max
Max Voltage: 235w
There is another PSU that has the same ampage of my PSU but better max voltage at 275w. It is the only other PSU I can get due to case limitations, should I get both the Xeon + PSU or should I stay with the old PSU and the Core2Quad?

Solution
I'd stick to the Q9650 if I were you since that is officially supported on your platform, per your technical guidebook. Pair that with a 4x2GB DDR2-800MHz ram load out. If a kit, better!

Your I/O panel's proprietary connectors will prevent you from migrating innards to a new case. Even if you could migrate to a new case with a large PSU, you're only bringing up the cost to the point you could've easily purchased an entry level system.

^ Answering with due respect to the thread you had opened earlier.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd stick to the Q9650 if I were you since that is officially supported on your platform, per your technical guidebook. Pair that with a 4x2GB DDR2-800MHz ram load out. If a kit, better!

Your I/O panel's proprietary connectors will prevent you from migrating innards to a new case. Even if you could migrate to a new case with a large PSU, you're only bringing up the cost to the point you could've easily purchased an entry level system.

^ Answering with due respect to the thread you had opened earlier.

Solution
Oct 31, 2018
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually have this sort of dream list on Amazon with everything I need for a gaming rig. i7-8700k(or 7800k, I keep mixing the numbers) a Zotac 1070 ti, 1000w PSU, so power won't be a problem, and about 32 gigs of ram. Only problem is.....the whole list is $2000+