[SOLVED] Xeon X5460 or E5450?

Mar 29, 2020
Hi guys I know it's old hardware but I'm trying to play some games, I have a 775 socket Board (Asus P5QL Pro) paired with a C2Q Q8400 2.66Ghz overclocked to 3.3Ghz and RX 570 4Gb. It runs a few titles like R6S, GTA V... but I want to upgrade a little bit. so I'm confused between Xeon X5460 or Xeon E5450 which one to buy? My motherboard has potentials to Overclock and I have a 400W PSU but I can replace it with a 500W if it's needed.
So I hope you can help me to chose. btw The CPUs cost the same, around 20$ on Aliexpress and run on 775 sockets with a mod.

Solution
Hi guys I know it's old hardware but I'm trying to play some games, I have a 775 socket Board (Asus P5QL Pro) paired with a C2Q Q8400 2.66Ghz overclocked to 3.3Ghz and RX 570 4Gb. It runs a few titles like R6S, GTA V... but I want to upgrade a little bit. so I'm confused between Xeon X5460 or Xeon E5450 which one to buy? My motherboard has potentials to Overclock and I have a 400W PSU but I can replace it with a 500W if it's needed.
So I hope you can help me to chose. btw The CPUs cost the same, around 20$ on Aliexpress and run on 775 sockets with a mod.
I assume you know neither of those CPUs are supported. You may have to get a modded BIOS to get them to work in addition to the physical change you have to do to the chip...

kanewolf

Titan
I assume you know neither of those CPUs are supported. You may have to get a modded BIOS to get them to work in addition to the physical change you have to do to the chip.
Of the two CPUs you mention, I would get the E. It is a much lower power CPU. Your motherboard only has a 4 pin CPU supplemental power plug. That means that the power subsystem is not real robust. Xeons are not overclocking friendly. Your performance may not be much better than your overclocked Q8400.

Solution