Xeon x5670 and mo/bo

Feb 26, 2018
Hi,

I’m trying to build a budget ststem primarily for csgo. I have 144hz monitor here on the table, but not much cash left in my pocket. I heard Xeons like x5670 can get incredible frame rates(250+) when overclocked to 4Ghz quiet easily and i can find it for £45 on ebay. I am not sure which motherboard should i look at? I can find ones like DELL Precision T7500, for as little as £50, but im not sure if i will be able to overclock cpu on it. How do i know, which mo/bo will allow me to oc this cpu?

Also, i was wondering if this cpu will be compatible with Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5?

I was also looking at i5-2500k, but issue is with mo/bo, since intel doesnt make them anymore their prices are very high(£100 for z77 chipset if lucky..)

I am on a really tight budget and will go with one of these options.

Im also thinking of going with radeon hd7850.

Would also like and advice on psu? How much W psu will i need for such rig?

Thanks in advance guys!

It's single thread score is pretty low. New gen intels are over 2200. FPS wise you just need to find the minimum single thread to not bottleneck. It's mostly GPU dependent.

You can find old servers with everything in them. It will be cheaper than buying the stuff separate for the server route, as long as it's not got more than 16G ram.
Dell r710 are very cheap. They use a ton of power, make a LOT of noise, and take 8 minutes to turn on.

GTX 1050 will be faster than that and use half the power. compare the old benchmarks to new cards. The past few years GPU have increased so much that budget ones are faster than these old med-high ones. CPU single thread hasn't changed much since ivy bridge for intel. I really feel like ivy bridge is in the sweet spot for used stuff if you don't want an old server.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5670+%40+2.93GHz

Feb 26, 2018
Do you mean a server? Servers are made for stability, i doubt dell would let you to oc cpus on their motherboard.

I decided to go with different thing anyway. I found a bundle Asus H110m-plus and i5-7400 for ~£200. Its 1151 mobo as well so i can upgrade my cpu later..

In total spent £300 excluding gpu
I5-7400
Asus h110m-plus
Ddr4 2400mhz 4gb ram
Evga 500w 80+ psu
Some £10 WD 320gb hdd
Be quiet! Rock slim cooler, bundle didnt include stock cooler..

I would strongly suggest getting 2x4GB ram at least. You want two sticks to enable dual channel. 4G will get used up very fast in win10.

Feb 26, 2018
Thanks. I heard that 4gb should be enough for csgo easily for starters and later i will also add 500gb ssd and 2x4gb sticks as well.

Which windows 10 should i install to save more ram space? I know they have several editions.. pro, enterprise, home..?

I don't think there will be any difference with the editions.