Question xeons and multiple gpus

FABZ01

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
can xeons read and use multiple gpus for 3D rendering? if I had a build with 2 xeons and 4 gpus would it use all four cards when rendering out of a you render engine?

FABZ01

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
thanks for the reply, I currently have a xeon build but want to upgrade. wasn't sure if I should just build a new pc with an i9 and the gpus or drop a 2nd xeon in the current build and the gpus

InvalidError

Titan
Multi-gpu scaling is pretty poor.
Multi-GPU scaling in GPGPU workloads is almost linear provided the host-side software can keep up with multiple GPUs and does a decent job partitioning the task between GPUs. As for SLI, most good rendering software directly support multi-GPU and perform better without the additional SLI/CF hardware abstraction overhead, which is why SLI/CF support is slowly getting phased out in favor of explicit multi-GPU.

FABZ01

Reputable
Sep 8, 2015
Multi-GPU scaling in GPGPU workloads is almost linear provided the host-side software can keep up with multiple GPUs and does a decent job partitioning the task between GPUs. As for SLI, most good rendering software directly support multi-GPU and perform better without the additional SLI/CF hardware abstraction overhead, which is why SLI/CF support is slowly getting phased out in favor of explicit multi-GPU.

Thanks for the reply, so let's say I have a build with 2 xeon e5 2690 and 4 rtx 2080s and I render a 3D animation with a GPU render engine (octane, redshift), the render engines will pick up the 4 cards and use all cards to complete the job? and you're saying they don't need to be SLI/CF for the software to pick up the multi gpus?

InvalidError

Titan
Software with explicit multi-GPU support usually works best WITHOUT SLI since this eliminates driver guesswork (which is rarely anywhere near optimal and sometimes worse than single-GPU) from the equation.

As for what performance looks like...