Xfinity Gigabit - Router Reads ~940mbps - PC ~300-500mbps

Gamma2Tech

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2013
Short Version: I have Xfinity gigabit and my speeds that are showing in my router's dashboard is showing over 900 consistently. Then, going to my desktop with gigabit LAN, I will receive right around 400-600. Could it be possible that it's just the age of the components? Also just added CAT7 cables and still sitting at no progress.

Specs:
i7-4790k w/ Z97-D3H Gigabyte Motherboard
16GB DDR3 1800Mhz
GTX 1080 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition)
Intel 760p 1TB M.2 SSD

This is a common one in the threads recently, but I believe I've come to a conclusion (kind of). Once in a while I will actually receive around 800mbps download speeds (very rarely) and when I don't, I decide to run a speed test through my router to see the correct speed I should be getting.

Devices:
Netgear CM1150V (modem)
Netgear AX8 (router)

The AX8 persistently reads the speeds I'm supposed to be getting, but with my PC (running a 4790K + Gigabyte Z97-D3H motherboard w/ Gigabit Lan and latest driver) it will be hit or miss with the speeds. The test range is the same from Xfinity's speed test site and Ookla's.

I feel as if my hardware may be limiting me at this point, but why can I hit the right speeds sometimes? I had an appointment scheduled and cancelled it because my router's tests are showing the correct speed and the tech will just charge for the visit since the correct speeds are coming in. I'm running brand new CAT6 and tested with various other 6 and 5e cables with the same results.

Firmware on modem and router are up to date. Windows 10 is up to date and on 1809. 1Gbps Full Duplex enabled. Literally just swapped out Nighthawk X10 with the AX8 just to see if it would make a difference, but sitting in the same area. QoS and UPnP disabled. Anything else anyone can think of or dealt with a similar issue? Would you recommend a PCIe network card?

EDIT: I also noticed that speed tests are starting really high in the 800-900 range, but dropping way down between 100-500 range on both websites for testing. Router is a solid consistent ~900.

What speed do you get from your PC if you hook directly to the modem without the router.

I would factory reset your router and configure it with a minimal config. Just set the admin password and the wifi passwords.

There are many features in routers that slow them down if you use them. They have a lot of trouble keeping up with gigabit connections. Most have the NAT function off loaded to a hardware based accelerator that bypasses the cpu.