Question Xfinity Router/Modem Replacement

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
Anyone know a good 2-in-1 Modem/Router replacement for Xfinity? I keep getting random issues, and I want to believe its the Moden/Router.

I have my eyes on the Motorola MT8733. If by switching to this, or any other. Is it possible to get better Ping, Speeds, Connectivity?
I don't know much about it, or what it offers or what is the downside, or upsides. But I hear alot of people saying its better to get your own than rent one from Xfinity.

Thanks for any help or insight <3

I would not buy a modem/router combo unit unless cost is a huge factor.
The modem part is pretty dumb. You need to check the list of supported device on your ISP site. It can actually vary a bit even within the same city. The device you link is docsis 3.1 which will work on most plans. Most times the ISP only required 3.1 on their very fast plans like 1gbit.

In any case check the list of modems that will work at the address you live at and is good enough for the plan you choose.

The key reason to get a separate modem and router is it give you a much larger choice of router. There are only a small number of modem/router combo units. It also allows you to upgrade the router and keep using the modem. The modem seldom needs to change unless you upgrade your ISP plan where a router you might want new features. Say wifi6e if you do not buy it now. With a separate router you can get anything you like it does not have to be on the ISP list, only the modem does.

The only issue I can see is the device you talk about have phone ports in it. If you buy phone service from the ISP then you might be stuck renting...not sure it tends to be a big rip off to get phone service via the cable company so I have not looked at in years. There are many other cheaper solutions.

willifer707

Honorable
Dec 3, 2017
I would not buy a modem/router combo unit unless cost is a huge factor.
The modem part is pretty dumb. You need to check the list of supported device on your ISP site. It can actually vary a bit even within the same city. The device you link is docsis 3.1 which will work on most plans. Most times the ISP only required 3.1 on their very fast plans like 1gbit.

In any case check the list of modems that will work at the address you live at and is good enough for the plan you choose.

The key reason to get a separate modem and router is it give you a much larger choice of router. There are only a small number of modem/router combo units. It also allows you to upgrade the router and keep using the modem. The modem seldom needs to change unless you upgrade your ISP plan where a router you might want new features. Say wifi6e if you do not buy it now. With a separate router you can get anything you like it does not have to be on the ISP list, only the modem does.

The only issue I can see is the device you talk about have phone ports in it. If you buy phone service from the ISP then you might be stuck renting...not sure it tends to be a big rip off to get phone service via the cable company so I have not looked at in years. There are many other cheaper solutions.

Get separate units. You’ll get better options that way. When I had Comcast I used an Arris Surfboard modem. My current router is a TP Link Deco mesh system.

Thanks for the help.
I have Xfinity 1gig at the moment. Which Modem/Router would you recommend?
I do like the idea of the Router @velocityg4 mentioned. Having a 3-piece individual wifi extender things.
But any recommendation will be fine. I have no clue on what is good, or what goes to what. Just the current setup seems that me renting from Xfinity they have total control over it, and I feel like the rented modem/router is always screwing up. z-z

The large problem is we on this forum can only give you general recommendations.

Because ISP have aquired other ISP over the years and they upgrade different parts of their network at different times there is no exact list of what equipment will work at any particular house. In general you are ok with the surfboard devices BUT even here you need to be careful. If you get something too new the ISP may not have support for it yet. The ISP is responsible for all firmware updates, you can not even do it if you want to. If they do not have a process to update it they will not allow you to activate it.
The ISP being responsible for support even when you own the device is why many devices that would work fine are not allowed. For example huawei stuff would work fine but the ISP does not allow it both from a support standpoint and the political mess huawei got itself into with the US government.

So I would go to the ISP web site and find a modem that will work on their system. You can then come back and ask about a router. Note I will highly recommend you do not use any form of mesh/repeater system if you have any other options.

Ralston18

Titan
Another consideration is how the router is administratively managed.

It is not uncommon that router manufacturer's have you log into their website and then connect back to the router in order for you to make administrative changes to the router's configuration.

Versus direct router access via the router's IP address (192.168.1.1 being commonly used) by using a browser on your computer. The actual/default router IP address can vary depending on manufactuer and/or router model.

You will still want/need admin access to the router for your own networking purposes. Consider that the internet may be down and you are unable to reach the manufacturer's website.

I recommend that you carefully read the applicable User Guide/Manual for any router under consideration.

Or modem or modem/router for that matter.

How to directly access the router may be a bit obscured if not ignored completely.

TRENDING THREADS