XFX 250 GTS - compatible cooler

UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi,

I've bought the other day the XFX 250 GTS video card and I am not really content with the working temperatures.
I get 51 degrees C at idle with the fan at 35%-45% or 48 degrees C with the fan at 75%-80%.
At load times I peak at 74 degrees depending on the game. I've tested so far UT3, Farcry 2, Anno 1701, L4D, Heroes 5, Oblivion, Fallout 3.

My problem is that in my room there is also a lot of heat in summer time, it can reach all the way to 35 degrees and this doesn't help at all.

I really want to replace the stock cooler on this card but I'm not 100% sure what would be a compatible cooler... so if you would have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I use an XFX 250 GTS that I purchased new from Newegg (good deal too, came with two CoD games).
Those temps are normal. Remember, the GTS 250 is already an overcloked GPU core with overclocked memory on the card so it will run warm. At times, I have to go from 80% fan fan all the way to 100% fan if I don't want to see my card go to 80 C.

I don't care because it has a lifetime warranty and I worry more about wearing out the fan than burning out the GPU. If you install a different cooler, you might be voiding the warranty if you bought it new and registered it.

UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
I saw 250 GTS models that had either a Zelman cooler or the Arctic Cooler Twin Turbo. I think I am going to use the Twin Turbo ... what bothers me is that even though it's an overclocked card, they didn't bother too much with it's cooling. At 80%-90% the stock cooler begins to sound like taking off and it doesn't do too much either, I got something like a 5 degrees drop.