XFX 4980 HD Video playback, not so good?

cursid24

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I just picked up a XFX HD 4890 (ATI) to Replace my Nvidia 9600 GSO. Games like COD 4 and COD 5 look incredible with the settings maxed on the 4890 . However, movie playback looks pixelated, grainy, and kind of washed out in comparison to my old Nvidia 9600 GSO. I've tried adjusting all of picture setting with with not much of a difference. Ive tested, SD DVD's, HD Videos on Hulu.com , Netflix on demand etc. All of which have the same result. Is this normal with a higher end video card? Ive installed the latest drivers right from ati's site. Is this something i can correct with software, Or maybe a new driver release? Has anyone else run into this?

Here's my setup....

Amd phenom II 940 quad core black edition
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe
8 GB of G.skill ddr2 1066
2 WD 1tb Harddrives
Corsair 750 watt Psu
Vista 64 bit Home Premium.

leon2006

Distinguished
Did you remove all NVDIA software before installing ATI drivers? If not then clean it up and reinstall ATI drivers.

What software are you using for video playback? I'm using PowerDVD for Blue-Ray & HD-DVD. I also have an HD-TV Tuner (Hauppage 2250).

My video playback is the same (they were all awesome) when i switched video cards from 3870-512, 8800GT OC 512, 4870-512, GTX-280 OC, and now XOC-4890.

Remove all NVIDIA software also update your PowerDVD software from Cyberlink.

cursid24

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I did remove the Nvidia Drivers and software through control panel. I also uninstalled the 9600 gso in device manager. I didnt use any driver removal software. Maybe something is still lingering?

For playback I've been using windows media center.

leon2006

Distinguished
I use PowerDVD to playback Blue-Ray & HD-DVD...
I get the same results when i use Media-Center and Media-Player for playing recorded HD-TV Shows or Hacked DVD materials.

You may need a 3rd party clean up software to remove all NVIDIA software.

Just the other night i watch the LA-DENVER GAME-1 while recording another HD TV SHOWS for my GF. The results are awesome.

nhouck

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
If you have Vista, ensure you have Aero enabled.

It may be caused by VLC Media Player, try Media Player Classic Home Theater edition instead. I think there is an issue with VLC not properly enabling 3D mode in Vista, so you have to use Aero theme to make sure it is always on.

I have a 4890 as well and also had a issue with severe tearing of the video playback. Re-enabling Aero fixed it.

Cheers,

Midnight