Question Xfx 550w or upgrade?

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
I have a 5 years old XFX 550w 80+ bronze psu in my system, though now that I want to upgrade my gtx 1070 to rtx 2080 should I change this psu too?
They recommend 650w on the geforce zotac page but the psu calculators are saying 500 to 550w recommended

I have a 5 years old XFX 550w 80+ bronze psu in my system, though now that I want to upgrade my gtx 1070 to rtx 2080 should I change this psu too?
They recommend 650w on the geforce zotac page but the psu calculators are saying 500 to 550w recommended

The RTX 2080 isn't particularly power hungry (most board partners over spec psu requirements)- I think that unit should handle it fine. My only thought is on age, XFX units are usually pretty good however at 5 years old, it is getting a bit long in the tooth- and electrical components do degrade over time. Given how much you are spending on that new RTX card, I'd probably replace the PSU just to be sure (I would keep your current psu as a spare- always handy to have a reliable backup psu for troubleshooting if you run into problems).

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
It looks like they have the Seasonic Focus Gold in 550W
Will it be enough?

The RTX 2080 is a 215W TDP card - it depends on the rest of your system, but I'm thinking that the 550W, ESPECIALLY given that the 2080 is only a 215W card, should be sufficient, especially if you're say, not running an i9 or overclocking an i7 CPU.

If they have a Focus Plus Gold at 650W, that would definitely do it safely.

Where are you located? These are US prices for Seasonic PSUs that are 550W or more. The S12II and S12III are older models, but still good. However, I'd be more inclined to recommend the Focus, particularly the Gold, as it's more efficient and has a longer warranty than the Bronze.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=71&e=4,2&A=535000000000,2000000000000&sort=price

Note that the Focus is semi-modular, while the Focus Plus is fully modular.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
The RTX 2080 is a 215W TDP card - it depends on the rest of your system, but I'm thinking that the 550W, ESPECIALLY given that the 2080 is only a 215W card, should be sufficient, especially if you're say, not running an i9 or overclocking an i7 CPU.

If they have a Focus Plus Gold at 650W, that would definitely do it safely.

Where are you located? These are US prices for Seasonic PSUs that are 550W or more. The S12II and S12III are older models, but still good. However, I'd be more inclined to recommend the Focus, particularly the Gold, as it's more efficient and has a longer warranty than the Bronze.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=71&e=4,2&A=535000000000,2000000000000&sort=price

Note that the Focus is semi-modular, while the Focus Plus is fully modular.

I will finally get a used 1080ti card, most probably an evga, so I guess it will need less power?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I will finally get a used 1080ti card, most probably an evga, so I guess it will need less power?

The 1080Ti is rated at 250W TDP. It consumes more power.

Ah no, about the same or more.

And don't believe that 215W TDP garbage, the cards will pull a lot more than that.

A lot more than that, around 300W give or take depending on the actual cards.

Where are you getting that info from? While the Founders Edition is rated at 225W, the tests indicate that it stays within that envelope, except for the peaks which are under 50ms - but all cards have those spikes, and they're not significant enough to need to base the PSU off of those numbers.

See the graphs here, for the RTX 2080 Founders Edition.

The 1080Ti is rated at 250W TDP. It consumes more power.

Where are you getting that info from? While the Founders Edition is rated at 225W, the tests indicate that it stays within that envelope, except for the peaks which are under 50ms - but all cards have those spikes, and they're not significant enough to need to base the PSU off of those numbers.

See the graphs here, for the RTX 2080 Founders Edition.

NEVER, NEVER go by the founders edition specs and reviews.

That is the biggest rookie mistake overall in the whole PC industry period.

And the reason why there is so much bad information spreading around and being parroted.

Most TDP numbers are BS.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
NEVER, NEVER go by the founders edition specs and reviews.

That is the biggest rookie mistake overall in the whole PC industry period.

And the reason why there is so much bad information spreading around and being parroted.

Most TDP numbers are BS.

The 20 series founders editions actually have a higher TDP rating than the "standard" spec.

However, you are stating a bunch of things without backing it. Citiations, please, NOT in video form. Because this sounds like a bit of scare-mongering more than anything.

The 20 series founders editions actually have a higher TDP rating than the "standard" spec.

However, you are stating a bunch of things without backing it. Citiations, please, NOT in video form. Because this sounds like a bit of scare-mongering more than anything.

The Founders cards are the standard spec. :rolleyes:

The Partner cards, especially the high end ones pull a lot more power.

LOOK IT UP.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Founders cards are the standard spec. :rolleyes:

The Partner cards, especially the high end ones pull a lot more power.

LOOK IT UP.

I did. See the chart here.

Specifically, the Founders 2080Ti and 2080 are higher than reference spec. The 2070 is listed the other way around, not sure if because it really is less, or if the numbers were accidentally swapped.

And, you made a lot of claims - don't tell me to do your work for you by telling me to look up information that, frankly, doesn't sound even remotely plausible.

I did. See the chart here.

Specifically, the Founders 2080Ti and 2080 are higher than reference spec. The 2070 is listed the other way around, not sure if because it really is less, or if the numbers were accidentally swapped.

And, you made a lot of claims - don't tell me to do your work for you by telling me to look up information that, frankly, doesn't sound even remotely plausible.

There wasn't any reference cards in the Turing line.

They are all Founders Editions.

You are confused, the 10XX series had both.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Seriously?

Follow the link I provided.

Scroll down to where it says "What RTX GPUs is Nvidia releasing?"

Note how the columns are:

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Reference Specs
GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition
GeForce RTX 2080 Reference Spec
GeForce RTX 2070 Founders Edition
GeForce RTX 2070 Reference Spec

Now, do the board partners make higher clocked, higher power versions? Yes. Do they also make cards in reference spec? Also yes.

Yet you're telling us that must most TDP numbers are BS.

Care to back that with any serious evidence?

Last edited:
Seriously?

Follow the link I provided.

Scroll down to where it says "What RTX GPUs is Nvidia releasing?"

Note how the columns are:

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Reference Specs
GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition
GeForce RTX 2080 Reference Spec
GeForce RTX 2070 Founders Edition
GeForce RTX 2070 Reference Spec

Now, do the board partners make higher clocked, higher power versions? Yes. Do they also make cards in reference spec? Also yes.

Yet you're telling us that must TDP numbers are BS.

Care to back that with any serious evidence?

For the last time....

There aren't any 2080Ti Reference cards, NVIDIA didn't make any and sell them.

There are only Founders editions.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the 2080ti averaged over 300w

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-xtreme-11g,5953-4.html

while this midrange 2080 average about 250w

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2080-gaming-oc-8g,5879.html

there are higher end models that can get close to 300w

jankerson is not wrong, though the nitpicky "no reference cards rather founder's edition released" is not exactly true. the founder's edition is the reference card. reference simply means the basic design nvidia/amd come up with and send out to board partners. they can and do use it for many cards. but they are free to change and go with a custom board if they wish. half of the cards sold are reference pcb's but with custom cooling. the other half (high end models) are custom boards that do not use the reference design.

the founder's edition cards are made with the reference pcb and are therefore considered reference cards.